Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Whole House Trap Venting

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Splinter 
#1 ·
I have a mid 50's split level house with a whole house trap in a pit in the garage. I don't have any trouble with the trap itself however there is a 4" cast iron vent pipe that comes off of the main drain at an angle into the garage, takes a 45 degree turn, runs horizontally 4' then exists out of the front of my house.

The issue that I have is the that since the vent pipe takes up too much wall space (running horizontally for 4'). My plumber told me the vent is not necessary any more and can be snapped and capped within the pit. The whole house trap will remain in tact only the vent will be removed and capped. Note that the vent is on the inside between the main stack and the house trap.

If the purpose of this vent is to allow air in or vent gases out (kind of stupid given the fact that there are bedroom windows directly above) I don't think it's really needed because the end that goes outside through the wall is so clogged with wasp nests I couldn't image a good air flow.

Any insight into if this can really be removed would be appreciated.

Also, I've read many posts that have said whole house traps have been outlawed. Any truth?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.