Wall Mount Tub Faucets. Why Don't They Make Um. - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Wall Mount Tub Faucets. Why Don't They Make Um.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

Trade: Designer/ Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Wall Mount Tub Faucets. Why Don't They Make Um.

Just bought the most awesome free standing tub. Been trying for years to get rid of the old claws foot one. The thought of trying to get it out was a bit daunting. It's gone but now I have a new issue. Floor mount faucets are not only $$$$$ but I would have to open up the ceiling below to plumb it in. The only wall mount tub fillers I can find are (on-line) for the claws foot tubs. I don't see how they are plumbed. It appears to me you shove the faucet nipples through the wall tighten the nuts and install the lines. How does one do that if you have a solid wall behind. I have contact the seller and they act like its not a problem. I am just not getting it. Do these only work on a pony wall where you can get in behind? ? I have been to the plumbing wholesaler here in Canada and they say there is no such thing as a wall mount faucet for tubs. Don't know or care who's right, I just need some way to fill my lovely tub without breaking the bank. Any ideas. Going in from behind the wall not an option. Prefer to not go through the ceiling.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,599

Re: Wall Mount Tub Faucets. Why Don't They Make Um.

How did you fill the old clawfoot, with a bucket?

The piping leading to ANY faucet is generally hidden inside some combination of ceiling/wall/floor unless you're into Modern Raw Gross motifs. Open up the wall and re-purpose the hardware for the old clawfoot. No big deal.

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Future Post Deleter...

Trade: Nothing
Rewards Points: 1,092

i think your crazy girl....call a plumber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,724

I think you are more of a designer than a contractor. Call a contractor before you flood your house.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygirl View Post
Just bought the most awesome free standing tub. Been trying for years to get rid of the old claws foot one. The thought of trying to get it out was a bit daunting. It's gone but now I have a new issue. Floor mount faucets are not only $$$$$ but I would have to open up the ceiling below to plumb it in. The only wall mount tub fillers I can find are (on-line) for the claws foot tubs. I don't see how they are plumbed. It appears to me you shove the faucet nipples through the wall tighten the nuts and install the lines. How does one do that if you have a solid wall behind. I have contact the seller and they act like its not a problem. I am just not getting it. Do these only work on a pony wall where you can get in behind? ? I have been to the plumbing wholesaler here in Canada and they say there is no such thing as a wall mount faucet for tubs. Don't know or care who's right, I just need some way to fill my lovely tub without breaking the bank. Any ideas. Going in from behind the wall not an option. Prefer to not go through the ceiling.
It's obviously not impossible

Attached Thumbnails
Wall Mount tub faucets. Why don't they make um.-7-28-2011-8-09-42-am.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Finley; 07-28-2011 at 09:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
tgeb (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #6

Trade: Designer/ Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

1.Did call a plumber and they said I would have to go through and open the wall that the bathroom backs onto.
2.Didn't fill the old tub with a bucket but thanks for the idea. It had through the tub fittings that are very old and not worth reusing.
3.Know I am a better designer than a plumber. That's why I was hoping one of you could help me.
4.Yes, I have seen the pictures of wall mount faucets and even showed them to the plumber wholesales up here and they say that they are made to go through a wall with access through the back. What I was hoping to find out from one of you professionals is: The units I have seen you insert the faucet trim side into the wall or tub and tighten from the back. Which means you have to have access to the back. Not possible here. Is there a faucet you can mount to the inside of the wall, put your filler lines on, apply drywall over the brass nipples then put the trim kit on the front?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 894

Quote:
Floor mount faucets are not only $$$$$ but I would have to open up the ceiling below to plumb it in.
Why not open the sub floor in the bath?

Quote:
The only wall mount tub fillers I can find are (on-line) for the claws foot tubs. I don't see how they are plumbed.
I reviewed your previous posts and am beginning to think you're not a contractor - maybe not a designer either - Are you a PP (Paint Picker)?

Quote:
...nipples through the wall tighten the nuts...
I'll leave it alone !

Sorry crazygirl but I'm not convinced you're in the trades in any capacity - post a website - prove me wrong!

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook

Last edited by DaVinciRemodel; 07-27-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Is there a faucet you can mount to the inside of the wall, put your filler lines on, apply drywall over the brass nipples then put the trim kit on the front?
You're looking at one.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,670

Screw it to a board on the wall.

Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

CrazyGirl, I'm not convinced you know what a house is certainly you haven't seen a standard bath-tub installation.

Most tub fillers install inside a wall. That's the standard way to make them. They don't need access from the back side. You can just open up the wall on the bathroom side then patch it. That's the way tub fillers are and have been for many decades.

It's hard to believe that after seeing the picture Finley posted you still don't get it.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
pro picnic table builder

Trade: gc
Rewards Points: 152

i think i see one that i just finished
Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 894

You scratch that tub - you'll be in big trouble boy!

Advertisement

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook