Under Sink Water Filters ? My House - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Under Sink Water Filters ? My House

Old 11-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,272

Under Sink Water Filters ? My House

I've looked online at under sink water filtration for the kitchen sink.

Can they be tapped into the cold supply for the existing faucet or to just a dispenser on the sink top.

Some have a 1 gal bladder tank, some don't. I believe this is about rate flow, not enough contact with the filter material so the tank stores water ?

Maybe some folks could narrow this down and mention what works and not works. Maybe a brand too ?

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 412

Re: Under Sink Water Filters ? My House

Since I don't want to take someone Else's heart medication, nor drink chlorine, I run a RO (Reverse Osmosis) that is a zero waste. No other filtration system will remove the bad stuff. Most RO's waste as much water as they produce. Mine has a pump and ties into both the hot and the cold water sides, pumping waste water back into the hot water side. It also feeds the fridge for ice making and cold drinking water. (I could taste the ice before tying it in.) There is a matching tap to my faucet, at the sink. I believe it is around 150 gallons per day and has a tank. Since our city water is fairly clean, meaning not well water, I rarely need to change the filters. The carbon filter is the most changed filter, at around once a year, and the RO filter every year and a half or so.

Cost? I stole it off of Ebay for $125 shipped, then added on a few components to make it zero waste for another $90. Typically it would have sold $500. It does require a dedicated outlet under the sink. My unit even came with a UV sterilizer, but since I am on city water I don't bother.

Taste? No taste, but they do make add on units that will put desired minerals back in should you desire. I can't stand the water at restaurants or other peoples houses. In fact I bring my own water when visiting my parents house. We have a hoard of Contigo water bottles that allow us to bring our own water while hiking, camping, etc.

Brand? Mine is a 5 stage Watts Premier, but since I do not use the UV it is a 4 stage.

This a similar 4 stage unit.
https://www.premierh2o.com/collectio...nt=20403524929

There are plenty of brands and places to purchase from.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Kitchen-W...s/N-5yc1vZcdb1

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter_C For This Useful Post:
Rio (11-20-2016), SmallTownGuy (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks Pete...exactly what I wanted to know

Now I'm looking at the YT's

Last edited by We Fix Houses; 11-20-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
Pro

One thing you should have mentioned is whether you are on well water or city water? What are you trying to accomplish by scrubbing the water IE: taste?
Old 11-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Pro

I'm on city water. About a year ago they went to enhanced treatment, sent out letters and all that. A bit more of chlorine odor. Taste is not what is was.

So improved taste and take out any chems that can be taken out.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Fix Houses View Post
I'm on city water. About a year ago they went to enhanced treatment, sent out letters and all that. A bit more of chlorine odor. Taste is not what is was.

So improved taste and take out any chems that can be taken out.
The charcoal filters will remove the chlorine smell from the water. You could just run a filter for that. Of course an RO is even more effective. If water cost is low you can run a cheaper non zero waste unit.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
Pro

Water is relatively cheap here. The infrastructure was originally for the textile industry. 1880-1980 largest Denim mfg area in the world. Wrangler world HQ is still here.

I'm going to get a system this week. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 1,196

I used US water systems 5 stage Ro system it was the only one I could find that was made in the USA. Also got the bigger holding tank so you can fill up a big pan of water if you need to
Thing works great tons of pressure and I hooked it up to the fridge to
Old 11-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,062

I have RO system for separate spicket/tap on sink and ice maker. Not main faucet. I keep holding tank I back of corner base cabinet and ran line to system under sink. Only have to access once a year when changing filters. Those tanks take a lot of space when installed under sinks.

Planning on one in first floor kitchen too. Going to set up system on opposite wall in garage to save space

There are whole house systems too. I know nothing about those.

Advertisement