Tub Choice - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Tub Choice

Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #1

Trade: Framing, remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 25

Tub Choice

This has been driving me nuts, but I have a HO that wants his daughter's bathroom remodeled. It's been like pulling teeth to get him to pick out tub/shower trim, accessories, etc. and refuses to have me go with him because he wants to take his daughter and pick them out together. Whatever, no skin off my back!

After 2 weeks of going from supply store to supply store, he gets everything picked out except the tub. He wants a simple drop-in acrylic 60" tub, but wants the inside to go almost straight down from the top with no slopes, angles, etc. I found one that was pretty close that I will post a pic below of: Kohler K-1130 Underscore. He likes the tub except the end opposite of the drain -- it has a slight slope to it!

So my question is...obviously...has anyone installed one that was a deep, rectangular shape with no inside slope? He has no problem dropping $1k on a tub but he's very particular!
Attached Thumbnails
Tub Choice-kohler-underscore-tub.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,984

Re: Tub Choice

Check Jason Hydrotherapy.

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Screw him. What the hell are you doing messing with it when he took you out of the picture and has wasted so much of your time already. Tell him to go to Kohler.com and have a big time and to give you a model number when he figures it out.

I'll give you some friendly advice -- when customers start getting this specific and start getting into angles and 'feelings' of the tub, it's time to back away, cause the only way you can guarantee no problems is for the guy to sit his butt in the actual tub he wants. Other than that, you're setting yourself up for a horrible, rude problem down the line after you have the tub and he decides it's not what he told you he wanted. Protect yourself, know when to tell a customer no and set some boundaries.

By-the-way, you do know that model you are looking at is an undermount model right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #4

Trade: Framing, remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 25

Yeah I've looked at the Jason Hydrotherapy collection, seems to be the best that I've found (Forma RE525). If he's unhappy with either of the choices I'm going to tell him to order one that he wants and I'll have my sub install it.

Mike, I agree with you 100%! So this guy is some sort of computer engineer and I was told from the person who referred him to me that he's exactly the type of guy that wants to sit in, touch, play with everything that he's going to buy. Good luck to him! I tried to explain that he could go to any/all of the showrooms around but more than likely he's going to be ordering out of the catalog or looking online. Oh well, I'll see what comes of it before I politely step back.

By the way, yes I was aware about the tub. On Kohler's website it states that it can be installed either as an undermount or drop-in.