Sideyard Flooding - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Sideyard Flooding

Old 08-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

Sideyard Flooding

My neighbor was mowing his lawn the other day and noticed some standing water in his side yard.. his was about an inch deep prob 20 feet long and 6 feet wide. He knocked on my door and ask me to go check my yard... Mine was the same but 2-3 inches deep. It's clean water, but neither one of our meters are spinning. Neither of our water bills have gone up and it hasn't rained in a month.. He's a retired contractor too and neither one of us know where this water is coming from.

The ponding extends past the fence into the front yard and it looks like it follows the sprinkler lines.. just on the front side of the fence...but the water is significantly lighter along those lines.. behind the fence on my side is the deepest.

Really not trying to do exploratory surgery.. any idea of what it could be coming from if the meter is not spinning?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 5,234

Re: Sideyard Flooding

Check the meter/ measure it.

It will never spin.

Take a picture of the meter read out.

Come back in an hour and take another picture. Compare the measurements.

Your neighbor should do the same.

One of you will probably be higher.

Hopefully itís him.

Whoever has the higher reading should turn off supply to the house. If a lot of water is still mowing, itís from the sprinkler system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Last edited by Mordekyle; 08-18-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 76

City water supply? Could be a leak in the line coming from the street, before it ever gets to the meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 170

our meters on the coast were at the street, so the city was only responsible for a very short length of pipe....

sprinklers on a timer?
greg24k (08-21-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
our meters on the coast were at the street, so the city was only responsible for a very short length of pipe....

sprinklers on a timer?
does not matter where the meter is, town responsible to your property. Where I work the meter is in the house and homeowners are on the hook all the way to the curb line
Old 08-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 252

Leaking from sprinkler lines that are only pressurized when the system is on? Do you have timed watering?
Old 08-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 864

Leaky valve in the sprinkler system. Some systems use zone valves.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
Pro

I do have a timed system but it's unplugged at the moment.. it's been unplugged for a while actually. The side yard where it's flooding goes something like this ....

My house..2 feet away is sprinkler line. 10 more feet to the fence 12 more feet the neighbor's house..

From my brick to the edge of the water is about 5 or 6 feet and the 3 more feet to the deepest point... Then across the fence he has about 4 feet of water on his side but it's only an inch deep .. if I had to guess I'm gonna say its prob my leak..

Water supply goes from street to meter then into house but I don't know how many directions it goes or where the point is that it starts breaking off..
Old 08-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
Pro

Wouldn't the little red dial on the water meter spin? I'll try taking a pic and waiting an hour and see what happens.. thanks.

But if it's coming from the sprinklers wouldn't that still cause the meter to roll? Neighbor says it's about 150 gallons of water.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 72

Take a sharpie & mark the little red triangle. A slow leak won't cause it to spin noticeably
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
hdavis (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #11
Pro

If it's turned off, close the shutoff valve and see what happens.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
Wouldn't the little red dial on the water meter spin? I'll try taking a pic and waiting an hour and see what happens.. thanks.

But if it's coming from the sprinklers wouldn't that still cause the meter to roll? Neighbor says it's about 150 gallons of water.

Yes the sprinkler system connects, usually in the meter vault right after the meter. In the Dallas area, anyway.

Last edited by Texas Wax; 08-20-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #13
Pro

150 gallons would be a small leak. Grab a dowel, stick it on the bone behind your ear, and try putting the other end on various pipes. Or use a mechanic's stethoscope with probe. Sometimes you can hear leaking.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #14
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

sprinklers on a timer?
In New Jersey some towns including my now starting to require installation of curb water meters. My friend just built 5 homes and he put them in, he said reading them is much easier now.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #15
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,254

had a client whose meter leaked on the town's side of the meter-saved him big $$ because he would have paid for it if the leak was on his side of the meter.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:24 PM   #16
Pro

I found it.. I got a metal stick w a handle on it and stuck it around where things were soggy.. it went 4 feet deep no problem anywhere on the ground for 10 feet in every direction. And correction on the 150 gallons.. I told my neighbor I told yal he had said that and he looked at me and said "a day.. at least 150 a day.. for the past month". I said oh.. ok well that's a lot more water than I explained.

So I did what any awesome person would do and I got out the shop vac and started sucking up surface water...

Once I sucked up about 6 shop vacs full of water, I could actually see what was going on.. so I dug holes about a foot deep every two feet or so.. to see where it was filling up again... Problem was the neighbors surface water was slowly coming over and filling them all up again..

I was like oooo it's right here! Oh wait it's right here .. for sure right here .. maybe it's here and there... So another 6 vacs full and it stopped filling up again... Needless to say I was about 10 feet off from my first ooo here it is!

It was a cracked elbow in the sprinkler line.... Had some spare elbows and PVC in my garage. Even had some spare couplings.. so I shut water off fixed it and viola! No more soggy yard..

I literally had solid mud boots up to my knees and 5 inches of it stuck to the bottom of my boots. And mud gloves up to my elbows. I was trying to get my kid to open the door so I could tell her to turn the meter back on and I could wash off.. but I couldn't knock with any part of my self with out getting mud all over the damn place . So I'm out side knocking on the french doors with my head . She finally answers and says omg mom you have mud all over you.! I was like no **** Sherlock. Go turn the meter on and then bring the water hose back here please! And thanks for accidentally locking the damn door again. I've only been knocking with my forehead for ten minutes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
hdavis (08-26-2019), tgeb (08-27-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 11:37 PM   #17
Pro

Take 2 ibuprofen and get a better side kick, this one isn't into it....
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
TheConstruct (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 12:55 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 12,112

Headbanger

Advertisement

hdavis (08-27-2019)