Sewer Line In Old House - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Sewer Line In Old House

Old 10-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 390

Sewer Line In Old House

I bought an old house built in 1915. The main sewer line is about two feet off the floor at the front of the house in the basement. There is also an addition at the back of the house which has a drain in the floor in the basement. Does anybody have an idea how they got the new drain to empty into the sewer pipe that goes out to the road? I'm only asking because I'm thinking of putting a new bathroom toward the front and I'm thinking the actual sewer line must be lower than the two foot height where is sticks out of the concrete wall. I tried the drain in the floor, and it seems to work. Thanks!

p.s. the new drain was done in the 30's, everything is cast iron.

Last edited by abacab; 10-20-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,690

Re: Sewer Line In Old House

I bet if it was done long ago it drains to a drywell not the sewer. I had the same thing in an old house I used to have.

Rained for almost a week and water started to come up through the floor drain.

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 390

It does empty in the city sewer, because just before I bought it, they had it torn up by the road because it had backed up in the house (or so the neighbor tells me).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacab View Post
It does empty in the city sewer, because just before I bought it, they had it torn up by the road because it had backed up in the house (or so the neighbor tells me).
I'd verify that it isn't a French drain, a bottle of tracing dye and a garden hose is all you need.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #5

Trade: Excavation, Utilities, Plumbing,
Rewards Points: 10

More than likely it either ties into the main sewer outside or ties into the city sewer individually. Your best option is to hire someone to televise and locate the back sewer. This way you can determine the condition, the route it takes, depths, and where it goes to. That will answer all your questions with near pin point accuracy. Make sure you map it for future reference. I'd also have them do the front sewer - probably won't cost any more (most charge one hr min.) or very little
Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to djpafl For This Useful Post:
abacab (10-25-2013)