Recovery Time - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Recovery Time

Old 02-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #1

Trade: Master Plumber
Rewards Points: 75

Recovery Time

Fellow plumbers / Construction folks ( No disrespect to white collars ,but their life ain't in this realm )

Don't know if this is the right place for this topic ,,, but this is were we come .

Going in for double , inguinal hernia surgery in the next few weeks . Dr. is doing it with a scope (?)

ANYONE been through this as of late ??? I am VERY concerned about the time I will be off work FULL DUTY ? As you all know , There is a big difference between changing a ballcock AND changing a water heater .
Customers DON'T want to hear that you can do one but not the other .

My situation ; Self employed -- By myself (got rid of the bums a few years back) .

Been weight training & Cardio 4-5 days a week for 20+ years --I mention that because I HOPE it will assist in the healing time . Hopefully it will,,,, Be pissed if all that time was/is a waste .

Anybody been in this situation ,,, sure would help to hear from a "brother"

Thanks !!
CPLumb

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Recovery Time

Hey CPlumb,

Not been there, but I do wish you the best of luck, and wish you a fast recovery.

Ron

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

The training will definitely help.I don't lift large anymore,but I do dumb-bells 4-5 times a week {I'm 44}-and I know it helps.The discipline of lifting will also help in your recovery as you already know you will have physical therapy everyday .I fell through a floor on an addition about 9 years ago,tore up the medial miniscus in my right knee,and they cut the torn stuff out.I forced myself to walk right away,got rid of the cane in 1 week.I'm fine walking forward or backwards but I can't do ladders with much more than my own body weight.That took care of cleaning any lines from a roof-top.You may have to hire day labor to throw a wtr. htr. up for you,or dig.Most career contractors are very resilient,we take a beating and die with a broken body,that's just our lives.You'll be fine,just work around your limitations.Good-luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #4

Trade: Master Plumber

Thanks fellas .

We DO take a beating and just keep getting up off the canvas . I just want / need to get back in the fight ASAP ..... Nothing more boring then sitting on the sidelines

CP
Old 02-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

i've had a fever and bein quite sick for about 6 days now,bed-ridden except for spurts the last 3 days and it looks to be a few days longer.I'm turning calls away and that is not good for a newer business,and I'm bored to tears, but no-ones wants a guy that sick in their home.Did the doc give you any indication how long it would take a normal person to recover?You should recover quicker than normal!I'm guessing you're around my age,your profile didn't say.Somehow stuff usually balances out.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

If you've been weight training for 20 years, you probably have, or know someone who has access to steroids. I'm not familiar with the different types of steroids, but I have heard that they speed up recovery time.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Electrical
Rewards Points: 516

Andy Pedit knows all about that!! Rodger Clemens's wife aswell.

Sorry to hear of your medical condition but may I suggest you ask your doc and get info on a PT location than ask them aswell. Ask if there is anything you can do now to help post surgery. Since the PT is the place you will be going after your discharged...makes sense to call them and grill them. Speedy recovery man.....you got plumbing issues to fix!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #8

What is the recovery time?

Naturally, the return to normal activity depends upon a number of factors. In our experience many patients are able to return to 'office' routines in about three days. More physical occupations, including sport, may take a little longer, commonly up to about two weeks.
In any event, the recovery time for each individual can be expected to last a fraction of the time it takes elsewhere and with the older methods. (See the graphic comparisons of results later in this information.)

http://www.hernia.org/methodsafter.html
Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Makes me think I need some of that quack-quack insurance from the duck.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Electrical
Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Makes me think I need some of that quack-quack insurance from the duck.
I have something like that. If I get hurt and cannot work for at least 10 business days I get a 12 or 14K payout. It's just a lump sum...or so I am told. I hate the insurance business.

Advertisement