Pre-calculate DWV Pipe Lengths Between Fittings? - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Pre-calculate DWV Pipe Lengths Between Fittings?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: property manager & renovator
Rewards Points: 500

Pre-calculate DWV Pipe Lengths Between Fittings?

Gentlemen,

I've always beena measure and cut guy for abs dwv piping. But I was wondering, is it possible to determine the exact length of pipe that's required between two fittings to get a perfectly-seated install if you know the exact distance between the vertical axes of the fittings?

Example: Installing a toilet drain. Between the center of the main stack and the center of the toitlet flange is x-inches. Immediately below the flange will be a 3" 90-degree elbow. The pipe will conform to the 1/4"-per-foot slope already built into the fittings. It'll join a santee at the stack.

I could put the santee in place, hold the elbow in place, take a measurement between the fittings and add two times teh pipe insertion depth.

OR, is there a way to calculate the pipe length from the x-inches, pre-assemble the riser, elbow, horizontal pipe and santee, so that it slips perfectly into the centres of the passages after assembly?

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: property manager & renovator
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Pre-calculate DWV Pipe Lengths Between Fittings?

Got it - you gotta have the tech specs on the exact parts you're using. The catalog of my fittings' manufacurer lists centerline-to-seat dimensions. Measure centerline-to-centerline, subtract the centerline-to-seat dimension for the fitting at each end, should give a perfect fit IF you seat the pipe perfectly.

For example, while the centerline-to-seat dimension for a 3" elbow is 3", and you can see the logic behind that, the centerline-to-seat dimension for a sanitee is 3 1/16". So my pipe length will be x - 6 1/16" for a perfect fit.

Of course I suppose that only works on short runs where the triangle made by the 1/4"-per-foot slope is insignificant. On a 20-foot run, let's see, that'd be 240-inch horizontal, 5"-vertical, makes the hypoteneuse = sqrt(240^2 + 5^2) = 240.05", a difference of 0.05", or somewhere between 1/16" and 1/32" - ok, so never mind, we're good for pretty much any run.

Very nice.

Advertisement

Last edited by bob_cntrctr; 01-20-2009 at 01:17 PM.