Outdoor Floor Drain Issue... - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Outdoor Floor Drain Issue...

Old 06-12-2020, 10:51 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 34

Outdoor Floor Drain Issue...

Hi all,

Well I did a job out of town this week and to be blunt, I screwed up. I didn't take a good enough look at the floor drain assembly and sloped the concrete to the "spud" (terminology?) Instead of installing the "strainer" (again?) First and sloping the concrete to that.
This is at the bottom of some exterior stairs, so the area is about 3'x4' and sloped about 3/4" from the outside perimeter to the drain.
What would you do? The homeowner is very adament about the entire slab being monolithic so he doesn't want any chopping or cutting done to the concrete ( I dont see why)
I have thought about trying to grind the underside of the strainer and the top of the spud to gain even 1/8" or whatever I can get and just pour self leveler or use some kind of topping mix to make it flush with the strainer, there would be just enough slope to achieve that I think.
The other option is to find a drain that would sit flush in the spud instead of on top of it. As someone familiar with welding and metal work I can see how it could be modified to work or a custom piece made... the homeowner doesn't care if the spud stays visible but wants a "high quality" appearance. I bought a cheap shower drain that fits in the hole and sits flush but he didn't like that.
Definitely learned a big lesson on this job, and have been kicking myself non stop for it. Have any of you ever seen or done this? I appreciate any and all feedback, even if you just want to tell me I'm an idiot- at least we will agree on that.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor floor drain issue...-resized_20200611_204354_6919_1592019808179.jpeg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2020, 11:09 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Outdoor Floor Drain Issue...

3x4, tear it out and do it right.

Dont buy cheap chit again.

Consider it tuition.

Advertisement

Frank Castle (06-13-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 11:16 PM   #3

Cheap chit? I didn't buy the drain but I'm assuming it's a pricey piece...
The mistake is that I didn't set it deep enough, that is no fault of the material.
Here's the thing. When I poured the slab I also poured a curb for the basement door. The homeowner is adament that the entire slab and curb must be monolithic concrete. So if I tear it up he would want the curb removed as well. Which means removing the new door I installed.(see photo)
He is convinced that any kind of chipping out and redoing/overlaying concrete won't last and is unacceptable... for a guy who says he "doesn't know anything" about construction he has some very firm beliefs...
I'm hoping I won't have to tear it out and can just find/make a nice 4" ips drain that sits flush in that spud.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2020, 11:20 PM   #4

Sorry photo was too large, had to crop it

I should add that the concrete is sloped beautifully and I wish I would have set the drain in there correctly... would've been really nice!! (Its been years since I did concrete on a regular basis)
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor floor drain issue...-20200612_221846_1592021937703.jpg  
Old 06-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Essential Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 20,179

How about fabricating a heavy gauge strainer that sits on the entire flange? The added benefit is a clean look while being easier to maintain (keep clean) so there are no backup issues. (No screws to chew up whenever it needs cleaning, etc.... Since it's near level with the inside floor, I'd have a secondary screen/debris catcher over the whole thing anyway.

Or cut it to drop in a 6" (or 8"?) square drain (black), which would be better anyway. That's what we have.

Last edited by MarkJames; 06-13-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #6

Mark James I am definitely leaning towards having something made for it that would use the existing threads in the "spud". Definitely would be the easy way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to bentizzy For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (06-13-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GC carpenter
Rewards Points: 8

Lesson learned. Hire someone versed in small concrete jobs next time. Save sleep
Old 06-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,678

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentizzy View Post
Mark James I am definitely leaning towards having something made for it that would use the existing threads in the "spud". Definitely would be the easy way to go.
Might be a good 3d printer project. Lots of libraries and colleges have them and classes, maybe find a student who wants to make some money, trick would be having it be printed with something durable enough to hold up.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Essential Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 20,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Might be a good 3d printer project. Lots of libraries and colleges have them and classes, maybe find a student who wants to make some money, trick would be having it be printed with something durable enough to hold up.
Right...in theory! Just imagine the hours of b.s.ing and 'splaining.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:16 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,921

Grind away the extra material, Glue screen holding piece into female fitting with PL 400- 800 type exterior glues???????
install screen, cash check. Send me some $$$
Old 06-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 5,912

Looks like a tile shower floor drain.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 5,912

That plastic part isn’t meant to be exposed, not sure how it will all hold up to the elements. They should have given you the strainer portion before you even started.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodel contractor
Rewards Points: 549

Kerdi, and a no slip porcelain tile? Might work and look nice...

Advertisement