I Am Fully Rooted In This Shower Pan - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

I Am Fully Rooted In This Shower Pan

Old 03-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #1
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 408

I Am Fully Rooted In This Shower Pan

A simple shower/vanity remodel just became more involved at this local church parsonage.

Symptoms were shower and vanity drain slowly. Their plumber snaked the line, tried from two separate clean outs, said they broke the cast iron trap.

I get called for remodel, told them my bid is to the trap only, downstream is change order and you pay to have my guy camera first.

Camera went 3' from each clean out. Went down closet flange, clay is clear out 100'. Marked location where rooted.

Demo today revealed a mat of roots under fiberglass pan, vent wye encased in footing with no foam wrap, 18" boulder placed strategically over shower/sink wye (to hold it down?), 10 no-hub connectors in less than 5' and I haven't even uncovered all the roots yet. One of the church parishioners did this addition 30 yrs ago.

Plan is to replace all with ABS, but my question is:
Would it be helpful to place rock salt along side the replaced drain? What about chromium sulfate or just RoundUp?

Just want to assure the roots are not going to be an issue again. Guessing the roots are from an Oak tree 40-50 yards away and option to remove is not off the table, but not prefered.
I also thought backfilling with decomposed granite might be sufficient to deter future root growth - dunno why.

Suggestions or don't sweat it.
Attached Thumbnails
I am fully rooted in this shower pan-img_2390.jpg   I am fully rooted in this shower pan-img_2399.jpg   I am fully rooted in this shower pan-img_2398.jpg   I am fully rooted in this shower pan-img_2396.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Windows Doors Siding Hurricane Shutters
Rewards Points: 734

Re: I Am Fully Rooted In This Shower Pan

The boulder is a nice touch. Back when I worked at a plumbing company, we wouldn't put anything in the dirt to stop the roots. We would call in tree expert.

If the tree dies, the liability could lay with the company.

Advertisement

http://www.gulfbreezewindows.com
The Following User Says Thank You to TLHWindows For This Useful Post:
Doctor Handyman (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

Re: I Am Fully Rooted In This Shower Pan

Holy sheet ship. I'm glad I'm not doing that shower. I'm removing some tile in one now so far so good