Finding A Septic Tank - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Finding A Septic Tank

Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #1

Trade: residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Finding A Septic Tank

Any secrets out there to find my septic tank, or possible cesspool (spelling?) myself besides probing the frozen ground? I dont beleive the standard metal detector I could rent will detect that deep for cast iron pipe. Previous owner verbally said there was a septic system but didnt know the location. Probobly horse $%@* but I got such a good deal on my house at the time I would have bought it even if I had to put a new system in. 1920 farmhouse probobly cesspool if old homeowner wasnt being honest They moved to florida so asking them any info isnt an option. Just wanted to see if there were any relatively easy ways before I go calling all the local septic companies for info. Basement is 7 ft ceilings, cast iron main pipe exiting right at the base of the foundation (7' +/- below grade) outside depth.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,930

Re: Finding A Septic Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybobo View Post
Any secrets out there to find my septic tank, or possible cesspool (spelling?) myself besides probing the frozen ground? I dont beleive the standard metal detector I could rent will detect that deep for cast iron pipe. Previous owner verbally said there was a septic system but didnt know the location. Probobly horse $%@* but I got such a good deal on my house at the time I would have bought it even if I had to put a new system in. 1920 farmhouse probobly cesspool if old homeowner wasnt being honest They moved to florida so asking them any info isnt an option. Just wanted to see if there were any relatively easy ways before I go calling all the local septic companies for info. Basement is 7 ft ceilings, cast iron main pipe exiting right at the base of the foundation (7' +/- below grade) outside depth.
A sewer camera and a locator would find it rather easily.

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Retired Contractor

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 538

Mike,

Your in my Back Yard so to speak! Why you need to locate it. Look at my profile and give me a call. Nice to have you one the forum.

Most tanks are 10' off the foundation of the house in this area. If you can locate the pipe where it goes through the foundation wall, it should be 10' straight out from there. It is only supposed to be 1-2" underground depending on grade or if anyone added fill over the years.

A metal detector (from United Rentals) will help locate the lid as it should be metal. If not, it should still pick up the cast iron pipe and rebar if it is a concrete tank. OR If you have a good back, dig down and find the pipe, then just follow that till you hit the tank.

BE CAREFUL!!!! Metal lids tend to rot out and once you start digging, it can cave in sending you into the pit. Most people that fall in, usually do not come out as they are typically alone. Not a nice way to die! To be safe; stand on a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 ply while you dig. At least if things go wrong, you can get out of there.

Feel free to call me though.

Last edited by LNG24; 01-04-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting in Utah

Yours may be to old, I know when I put mine in I had to get a permit and submit a drawing. Maybe check Building Dept records?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Retired Contractor

RC, not here. Unless a new approved system was put in with permits, chances are our Health Department (which handles the Septic Systems) will not have records on a house this old. They usually don't have it pre 1960's and very few get Health Dept OK to repair a system. Thats how it is here.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

use a sniffer of course. Put sone **** on a rag and wave it under the nose of a blood hound and hang onto the leash.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 2,000

Find out where the line leaves the house, look in crawl space if you have one, when you see where it exits, 9 out of 10 it will be straight out from there, probe is a best way thou.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #8

I'm not looking to hire someone to find it LNG24, I need to find it for my building permit. I have use of a backhoe worst comes to worst, just didnt want to really go that route unless I had to. Thanks anyway. My wife is originally from Dover, right up the road from you.
I dont think the metal detector would detect the pipe that deep and I dont even know for sure if it has a metal cap or if it is just a cesspool. I guess I'll start diggin
Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #9

that is after I call the local health dept for available info, and local septic companies on monday that is
Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
Retired Contractor

Mikey, I should have clarified what I was saying. I was down that way and would have stopped by to help you out. Not dig it, mind you, just help you figure out where and how deep. You know us CT members need to stick together.

BTW: The Detectors can locate metal 48" below ground, I think they would have found your pipe and tank.

Advertisement