Dryer Vent Question - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Dryer Vent Question

Old 11-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dryer Vent Question

Hi All,

I was at a customer's house today for carpentry related work and noticed that the dryer vent was venting into the garage. I told the customer that that was a health hazard and should be addressed. I'm surprised it passed the house inspection when the home was purchased.

Anyway, it's a townhome so he can't vent out the side of the house. The vent comes up from the basement and into the garage, a run of probably 8 - 10 feet. In order to get out the front of the garage it would mean another 20 feet.

My question is - is an exhaust on a dryer have the force to vent approximately 30 feet? If not, what alternatives does he have?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Dryer Vent Question

What mdshunk said.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ron The Plumber; 11-08-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

This should help, from the IRC:

CLOTHES DRYERS EXHAUST
M1501.1 General.

Dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems, shall convey the moisture to the outdoors and shall terminate on the outside of the building. Exhaust duct terminations shall be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer's installation instructions. Screens shall not be installed at the duct termination. Exhaust ducts shall not be connected with sheet-metal screws or fastening means which extend into the duct. Exhaust ducts shall be equipped with a backdraft damper. Exhaust ducts shall be constructed of minimum 0.016-inch-thick (0.406 mm) rigid metal ducts, having smooth interior surfaces with joints running in the direction of air flow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
DGR,IABD

For venting that 30 feet, you'd need a dryer booster fan, such as the one made by FanTech. It has a pressure switch on it that senses when your dryer starts to blow air through the duct, and it automatically turns on the booster fan.

http://www.electricsuppliesonline.co...echdbf110.html

M1501.3 Length limitation.
The maximum length of a clothes dryer exhaust duct shall not exceed 25 feet (7620 mm) from the dryer location to the wall or roof termination. The maximum length of the duct shall be reduced 2.5 feet (762 mm) for each 45-degree (0.79 rad) bend and 5 feet (1524 mm) for each 90-degree (1.6 rad) bend. The maximum length of the exhaust duct does not include the transition duct.
Exceptions:
1. Where a clothes dryer booster fan is installed and listed and labeled for the application, the maximum length of the exhaust duct, including any transition duct, shall be permitted to be in accordance with the booster fan manufacturer's installation instructions. Where a clothes dryer booster fan is installed and not readily accessible from the room in which the dryer is located, a permanent identifying label shall be placed adjacent to where the exhaust duct enters the wall. The label shall bear the words "This dryer exhaust system is equipped with a remotely located booster fan."
2. Where the make and model of the clothes dryer to be installed is known and the manufacturer's installation instructions for such dryer are provided to the building official, the maximum length of the exhaust duct, including any transition duct, shall be permitted to be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer's installation instructions.

Last edited by mdshunk; 11-08-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Move the dryer to the garage.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:00 AM   #6
Deck Designer/Builder

Trade: Construction Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Move the dryer to the garage.
Not a very constructive or useful suggestion 747 - considering it's a townhouse, it's likely to be a very small single car garage at best.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:59 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,942

Gotta love the code...one of the few times it really makes sense. When I lay out small spec plans for homes, I try for an exterior wall location for the washer/dryer. I bet 99% of HO's never know about lint buildup and the fire potential.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 11-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
I bet 99% of HO's never know about lint buildup and the fire potential.
I know my wife doesn't. Don't get me started on the lint trap!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:05 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

So if it is a Townhouse, does that mean someone has to carry laundry down to the basement to do wash then carry it back up stairs? That is a workout. A lot of the new custom homes here in Fla are starting to have a laundry station near the master bedroom.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecksEtc View Post
Not a very constructive or useful suggestion 747 - considering it's a townhouse, it's likely to be a very small single car garage at best.

In the United States alot of people have there wash machine and dryer in there garage. Now it might just be a one car but maybe not because town homes do have two car but if its just one car it will be a deep garage. They would be able to fit the dryer in the garage. I know they would wash in house and dry in garage but thats still better then laundry mat.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #11
DGR,IABD

Just sit the dryer along the street for the junk man and install a clothes line in the yard.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #12

Thanks for all the great feedback. Sounds like the booster fan in the way to go.

Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #13

Question

deleted...

Advertisement