CSST And Lightning Strikes - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

CSST And Lightning Strikes

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

CSST And Lightning Strikes

Can someone tell me why CSST like omega flex and gastite are said to be so susceptible to damage by lightning strikes?

I remember from science in school that electricity will always follow the path of least resistance to the ground, surely in a storm that would be through the water (rain) on the roof to a downpipe, why would it ever follow the CSST which presumably is inside the house AND is covered in plastic ??

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Re: CSST And Lightning Strikes

The only thing i can think of is that the gas meter outside the home is made of a conductive metal, and all the fittings are essentially made of conductive metal. So it may be probable that if an electric current travelled through the electrical cables on the roof, through the appliance and then through the gas fittings. Again, this is EXTREME scenario, but, the only probable one that comes to mind. Since CSST is alot thiner and less protective of the gas then steel gas line...anyways, ive never heard of any problems myself...usually everything in the home is grounded anyway so unless lightening hit the actual gas meter??????

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

It's my understanding that electricity does not follow the path of least resistance, it follows ALL paths available in varying amounts depending on the resistance.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

www.gastite.com

Any metal in a bldg can become energized if not properly grounded.This includes metal ducts,metal chimney liners,elec cables,structural steel,and of course any metal pipes..The thinner the metal the more damage.CSST is thin.I've seen a home after consectutive lighting strikes that welded the pop-up on a lav,blew hundreds of nails from the siding,and energized the steel water pipes and blk iron gas pipes to the point that the steel pipes had pin holes blown in them,thankfully it happened at 4 am.
Another job I repiped had ward-flex installed and it wasn't bonded/grounded and the line became energized some how and melted the jacket completely (singed) on a run of about 50'.the owners smelled smoke coming from the walls and opened them to find the csst smoking ,they killed power to the house and wound up having a new elec. service installed.Lighting strikes are a very very serious threat to unbonded/ungrounded systems,and being energized in general.
The Following User Says Thank You to threaderman For This Useful Post:
Driftwood (03-12-2009)
Old 03-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
DRIFTWOOD

Trade: GEN CONTR.
Lightbulb

Read where installers ran it along roof rafters too close to roof sheathing.
On the re-roof a nail penetrated the pipe with bad results!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
Read where installers ran it along roof rafters too close to roof sheathing.
On the re-roof a nail penetrated the pipe with bad results!
Absolutely right,strike protection is also very important with this type of pipe.The codes have become stricter for csst than anything else as far as strike protection goes.4" to either side of a stud or 4" above and below top/sole plates.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

We don't like it or even use it, too many possibilities for problems, my customers sleep well at night.

Advertisement