CSST Bonding Instructions - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

CSST Bonding Instructions

Old 02-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Electrical
Rewards Points: 516

CSST Bonding Instructions

Also posted this in the electrical (nec discussions) section.

I have been talking to my local inspectors.....they are now requiring it.
http://gastite.com/include/languages.../TB2007_01.pdf

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: CSST Bonding Instructions

Yes I knew about this a year ago. Read about it in a lawsuit.

The lawsuit claims that CSST poses an unreasonable risk of fire due to lightning strikes. Plaintiffs allege that the CSST tubing is not thick enough to prevent damage to the CSST in the event of a lightning strike and that Defendants failed to warn consumers about these alleged dangers.

http://www.pddocs.com/csst/faq.aspx

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Electrical
Rewards Points: 516

Yeah...we were posting about this at least a year ago. I had inquired from my inspectors about the bonding and when it was going to be required. Most never knew a thing about (shocker) it.

Do you know if we can bring the bonding wire that is usually either bonded to the cold and/or jumped to the hot line, just extent that down to a rigid pipe on the gas line? I don't see why not.....either way it won't make a damn bit of difference....lightning strikes or not....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 500

I've used & been certified (yeah, tough process, hard test...sure) in Wardflex, Gastite & Tracpipe when I worked for other shops.
I wouldn't use Wardflex on anything, it's annealed & I've seen it puncture being dragged through tight spots, leaving a concealed leak with a crew running around trying to find it.
Each mfg has it's own fastening technique, confuse one with another & you've got trouble.
With my name on the work I just use steel hard pipe...between the cost of the fittings & pipe as a trade off for saving time, I'd just as soon stay old school for now.
There are exceptions where you can drag CSST through a tight or confined space & minimize damage to finished walls & ceilings, then I'll use it, with care.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Pro Plumber

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNLA View Post
Yeah...we were posting about this at least a year ago. I had inquired from my inspectors about the bonding and when it was going to be required. Most never knew a thing about (shocker) it.

Do you know if we can bring the bonding wire that is usually either bonded to the cold and/or jumped to the hot line, just extent that down to a rigid pipe on the gas line? I don't see why not.....either way it won't make a damn bit of difference....lightning strikes or not....
Sounds ok, but I really can't say, bonding is not an issue here, it's not being enforced,
Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Some cities here require it but most don't care.I always give the cust. a copy of the csst. requirements for bonding/grounding.I also state on the invoice that they are required to seek a lic. electrician for assistance.

Advertisement