Closet Flange For 3" Sdr 35 ? - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Closet Flange For 3" Sdr 35 ?

Old 03-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Closet Flange For 3" Sdr 35 ?

Try to put aside the obvious question, "How did that happen?", and try to help me out. Anybody got an online source where I can order a closet flange for 3" sdr 35? None of the three local plumbing supply houses have them, and only one is willing to order them if I want a case of 25 (Souix Chief brand). I figure there must be an online place to order just one, but I'm coming up with nothing. Heck, I'd even settle for a 3" sdr 35 x sch 40 bushing if I could find one of them.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Closet Flange For 3" Sdr 35 ?

Many places carry sdr x sch 40 adapters,though I wouldn't know in your area.There may be a Barnett supply near you,or how about grainger?I'm surprised the diy stores don't have them,it seems right up their alley.

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

I can find places w/ sdr bushings, but only 4-inch and above. Nobody with 3-inch stuff. You're right, though.... does seem like something Lowe's and Home Depot should have, but I already checked there.

This is an existing building that was aparently plumbed with sdr 35. They had closet flanges on that were the right size for thinwall. One of the closet flanges broke at the hub, and needs replaced. If I can't find something to order tonight, I'm going to make my own bushing tomorrow with half of a 3" sdr coupling and use a sch 40 closet flange.

Last edited by mdshunk; 03-23-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Barnett does have a 3" x 4" adapter that would be perfect for you.2 locations in PA, one in Pitts,one in Philly.I can't hear about illegal connections or fittings lalalalalalallalalalalalalallaallalalalalala,I can't hear you lalalalalalala.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,950

A closet flange designed to slide into a 3" PVC hub and a No Hub band should do the trick rather easily.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
the pipe master

Trade: plumbing, solar
Rewards Points: 502

I think you mean a mission band. No-hubs are not for transitioning from Sch40 to sdr. You've been pouring too much lead
Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
the pipe master

You could go with one of those flanges that have a gasket that slips inside of 3". Make sure you bolt it to the floor though. It's not the best, but it's quick and easy. Blowes sells them.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
DGR,IABD

Got my problem solved, by the way. I found a little out of the way place that had 3" sdr35 x sch40 bushings. Not much of a bushing. Pretty thin. Just what the doctor ordered, though. That little 2 dollar bushing kept me from having to buy a case of special order closet flanges.

(I noticed during my struggles that some companies make closet flanges that glue on the inside of 3" sch40. They were way too loose on sdr35. That's a pretty freaking small hole. Looks like a recipe for a stoppage. Are the 3" inside glue flanges even code compliant? I can't imagine you'd even get a nice hard swirl in the bowl with that small of an outlet. Maybe not. I'm not going to try them, that's for sure.)
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
the pipe master

Here's the one from Barnett:
Attached Thumbnails
Closet flange for 3" sdr 35 ?-image2.jpg  
Old 03-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
the pipe master

They are no smaller than the outlet hole on the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Got my problem solved, by the way. I found a little out of the way place that had 3" sdr35 x sch40 bushings. Not much of a bushing. Pretty thin. Just what the doctor ordered, though. That little 2 dollar bushing kept me from having to buy a case of special order closet flanges.

(I noticed during my struggles that some companies make closet flanges that glue on the inside of 3" sch40. They were way too loose on sdr35. That's a pretty freaking small hole. Looks like a recipe for a stoppage. Are the 3" inside glue flanges even code compliant? I can't imagine you'd even get a nice hard swirl in the bowl with that small of an outlet. Maybe not. I'm not going to try them, that's for sure.)
Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by protechplumbing View Post
Here's the one from Barnett:
Yes, I had one of those in hand, but it was like a ringer in a bell in the sdr35. They only work on sch40, so it appears.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
the pipe master

Huh? That gasket should have fit just fine. Their is less than 1/10th of an inch difference between sch40 and sdr IDs. I'm puzzled. The gasketed flange I normally use has to be compressed to the point that it's almost impossible to get it into sch40 pipe. That's with filing a nice inside bevel and lubing the heck out of both the pipe and fitting. It should've worked. I dunno man.

BTW, may I ask how we ended up with sdr35 inside a structure serving a toilet?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by protechplumbing View Post
BTW, may I ask how we ended up with sdr35 inside a structure serving a toilet?
Beats me. Whole building was done that way in 1967.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 2,000

Those are not UPC approved.

Advertisement