Big Reno Has Poly-B - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Big Reno Has Poly-B

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,262

Big Reno Has Poly-B

Hey guys, I'll be starting a big reno in the new year and I'm putting together a budget for the designer's drawings at the moment. Two storey house built in 94 and we'll be redoing most of the upstairs. Plumbing is run through floor joists and interior walls. There are already a number of upgrades we'll need to do - New furnace, hot water tank and electrical service upgrade.

One thing I'm unsure of right now is the house is plumbed in 3/4" Poly-B. All the fittings are copper, not plastic. I'm not sure where the client's insurance company has to say about it at this point but as I understand, it's often advisable to replace it.

I had the plumber do a walk through with me yesterday and his feelings are it's not ideal but from his perspective it is what it is and is an expensive job to replace on top of everything else. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence one way or the other and I hate to think of doing all this work to have an issue in a few years. At the very least I'd like to get all the Poly-B out of the top floor.

Looking for real world experience and educated opinions on this situation before I start pricing out replacing it all. Between the designers champagne taste and all the upgrades there isn't a lof of budget left already

Located in BC for what it's worth.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 348

Re: Big Reno Has Poly-B

Iím more of a carpenter, but actually prefer Pex-B.

Should be fine, it even has greater freeze resistance than copper water lines.

Just keep the rats away

What part of BC? I grew up just across the line in Lynden, WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks Caleb, carpenter myself too so looking for experience from plumbers on polybutylene plumbing. Popular around here two decades ago but prone to leaks. Not sure how much is media scare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 01:25 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home improvement of all types
Rewards Points: 8

I redid my house with Quest pipe 25+ years ago , not long before it was discontinued

Iíve had two copper fittings fail over the years , could be they were weakened from freezing.

Iím on well water, which is probably why Iíve not had any problems . My understanding is that chlorine in city water deteriorates the polybutylene .

There seems to be a consensus in the industry that the older poly-b pipe is failure prone.

It would seem prudent to replace any that is exposed during a remodel , or even re-piping the entire house .

Iím not a plumber , I occasionally pretend I am
The Following User Says Thank You to Idothat For This Useful Post:
TheConstruct (Today)
Old Today, 01:32 AM   #5
Pro

After some reading I am of the same opinion's you are about it. Ultimately I need to discuss this with the clients as it pertains to their insurance policy and leave the final decision up to them. In my mind it's not the area to try to save money on.

I have zero experience with the stuff other than hearing about the issues with it years ago. My usual plumber didn't seem too keen on even pricing replacing it all so I've spoken to a couple other guys who I'll get prices from.

It would be pretty bad news to have an avoidable flood AFTER the renovation. If something were to let go before... well.. maybe the restoration company could do the demo for me...

Last edited by TheConstruct; Today at 02:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheConstruct For This Useful Post:
Idothat (Today)