Bidding On Residential New Construction - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Bidding On Residential New Construction

Old 02-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bidding On Residential New Construction

I Would Like To Know How To Bid On Plumbing On New Houses From The Ground Up. In So Cal. I Am A Newly Licenced Plumber. Is There Any Systems That You Use.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Bidding On Residential New Construction

What is the name of your business, and how long have you been in business?

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #3

The Name Of My Company Is Bobbyblue Plumbing. I Worked For A New Construction Plumbing Compny For Almost 8 Years, I Have Been In Business For Myself Since December 2007.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 500

BEST possible advice I could think of...
The irony here is that I just typed a post the size of a small novel elsewhere on why I don't like giving out pricing info, or "how to" info to newcomers online.

However, you say you have a license...so then you KNOW the time involved on each task from rough to trim.

If you don't know the times involved, don't bid.

You "should" at least have a decent grasp of times If you really have your license.
How long each fixture would take on both rough and finish, as well as general piping, add up the hours you figure, then add 20% to cover unforeseen things like being held up by framers, or having to have a joist boxed/sistered for water closets...etc.
Take what you made per hour working for a shop and triple it...thats your hourly rate ($25/hr on W-2 = $75 self...$35 on W-2 = $105 self...etc).
Don't forget your working alone if you don't have an apprentice...common mistake with knowing times just coming out of a shop.
The tripled number is to cover your liability, work. comp., health insurance taxes, tools/maintenance, general & vehicle overhead.
Stock ALWAYS gets a markup to cover your time to order & pickup.
Anywhere from 40% on small items/fittings, to 10% on large items, like boilers.
Add on permit fee's as well as admin time...this is your discretion, don't forget time for testing & inspections.

Do yourself, and your brother tradesmen in your area a favor...
Don't be afraid to overbid...better to lose the job to a lower bid, than to get the job and discover you can't pay your bills with a week left to finish that job.
Once you sign the contract, it owns you till your done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpyplumber For This Useful Post:
aceplumbing (01-23-2009)
Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Few years ago, when I did a new homes, I always said,"I'd rather sit at home and make $0, that bust my butt for $0. Make it worth your time.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Pro

One more thing...
Count on the GC or customer saying your bid is too high, regardless what the price is, it's always too high.
Stick to your guns, have confidence in your price.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Pro Plumber

Rewards Points: 2,000

So are you in Green Valley Lake, CA?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMIDABOB View Post
The Name Of My Company Is Bobbyblue Plumbing. I Worked For A New Construction Plumbing Compny For Almost 8 Years, I Have Been In Business For Myself Since December 2007.
Ain't no such company. I'm thinking you're a carpenter in disguise. Is that you, Tom R?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 AM   #9

Thanks For The Info .and I Will Stick To My Guns. I Am In Fontana Ca. Alot Of New Work Going On Will Be In Green Valley (fire Damaged Homes) And I Am Not A Framer , I Started In A Fab Yard, Then Learned Rough Then Finish. My Licence Is Under My Personal Name But Company Is Bobbyblue Plumbing I Used To Work For Rcr.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 AM   #10

I worked for RCR also, but that was a long time ago. Also worked for Hood, Executive and several others, no more track homes for me. I prefer to stay on the mountain...Rick

Advertisement