Advice For Starting A Shop? - Plumbing - Contractor Talk

Advice For Starting A Shop?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #1

Trade: Plumbing, Pipefitting, Hydronics
Rewards Points: 10

Advice For Starting A Shop?

If this post is out of line or out of place I apologize. I am looking for advice on requirements for starting a one-man plumbing service shop in Illinois. I am state licensed and have been in the mechanical trades from the age of 15 working residential and commercial plumbing and gasfitting, commercial pipefitting, and residential and commercial hydronic heating. I have been fortunate to work for great contractors who appreciated and paid well for a skilled job done quickly, but I feel there is just more to be made working for myself. I've never looked into this before and really don't know where to start, I don't even know what types of insurance are required to be carried. Thank you for anyone that helps.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Advice For Starting A Shop?

Hmmm...

I see that you mention having an state license. Is that an Contractor or is it an Journeyman License you hold there.? I'm not sure of the rules in your state but in mine you have to have an Contractors before you even open a shop. Then you need to create an business name and check the avalibility of the name, Pay the fees to have the name made yours. Find an good accountant to help you set up if you want to be an Sole Propirship, LLC or an INC. pay that fee. Then contact the IRS to get an TID. Then you need to contact your insurance carrrier to see if they offer Policies that would cover the type of work you are wanting to do. Figure out if you are working out of your garage or renting a building. Get your vehicle Decaled. I know I'm forgetting something but I'm sure you 'll figure it out on your own.

Prepare to dish out some money to get started.

Good Luck

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 150

You can just use your Social Security number if you don't have any employees. I used to have a tax number, but have since switched back to just the SS.

Some cities or states require insurance, some don't. But you need to protect yourself.

Crunch your numbers. Figure out what it will actually cost you to do business. You cannot just call others in your area to see what they're charging. If you can't charge enough to make your direct and indirect costs and still have a decent income, maybe it's better to stay with an employer.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 75

1st you need to contact the IDPH Plumbing Dept. They have a packet for you to fill out with everything they require you to have to be a Lisc. Plmbg Contractor. Start there.

GOOD LUCK

In Christ,

Song Dog