Firefighter And In Union? - Welding & Steel Trades - Contractor Talk

Firefighter And In Union?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Carpenter

Firefighter And In Union?

Iím currently in the fire academy trying to land a job as a firefighter when I turn 21, currently 19. On my days off I work for a carpenter doing interior remodeling. I was wondering if I could do my firefighting career and during my 48 hours off land a job as an ironworker? I live about 40 min from the city of Chicago. Just wondering if this combination is possible. Just want to get other peopleís .02 thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #2
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 9,170

Re: Firefighter And In Union?

I don't have an opinion on whether or not you can do that as a union ironworker, no experience with the Union. I will say that if someone who served as a volunteer firefighter thank you for your service, and thank you for not being a common millennial wanting to just work one job, when you are not satisfied with the income.

Advertisement

John
Old 01-19-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,530

Happens all the time.

If you move the Chicago, you can tack on a Daley Day.

Tom

Old 01-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,414

Being in a union trade it would be more difficult then a nonunion crew because most of the union jobs are big jobs and you either work full-time or you donít depending on THEIR schedule not yours. Your best bet is to find a smaller contractor that is willing to work with you on your schedule and just pay you an hourly wage since you donít have to worry about benefits

The reason why it generally doesnít work on union jobs is that yes you have 48 hours off however some departments shift change is at 8 oíclock so you wouldnít even be able to make it to the job till 830 or nine. Most union jobs start much earlier than that Plus thereís also the fact that you might be held over due to a call....for example you get a fire at 6:45 in the morning you obviously wonít be able to make it to your other job, In a timely manner.

After your Academy being in the Illinois area I would recommend you to go to paramedic school ASAP. Most departments require a paramedic license just to apply and medic school is pretty difficult (alot of er and ride time) so I would get that out-of-the-way first before you focus on anything else if you want to go full-time as a fireman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Windycity; 01-20-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
I would recommend you to go to paramedic school ASAP. Most departments require a paramedic license just to apply and medic school is pretty difficult (alot of er and ride time) so I would get that out-of-the-way first before you focus on anything else if you want to go full-time as a fireman
Yup all Paramedic, now ... side job later. Bonus with the Paramedic program, they all have to be college accredited for you to sit for the national registry exam. Basically end up with associates degree worth of transferable college credits, if the FF thing doesn't work out. Credits also apply toward fire science degrees. Wanna make anything much past HEO a fire science bachelors degree or better: thumbsup:
Old 01-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
New Guy

Trade: Carpenter

sounds like a good idea to get the paramedic done. I just talked to one of my fire academy instructors today and he said it almost mandatory to have it in order to land a job.
Windy city that sounds like a good idea working for a smaller non union contractor, itís just the ironworker career really catches my attention.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_banz View Post
sounds like a good idea to get the paramedic done. I just talked to one of my fire academy instructors today and he said it almost mandatory to have it in order to land a job.
Windy city that sounds like a good idea working for a smaller non union contractor, itís just the ironworker career really catches my attention.

I was a paid on call firefighter/emt for 10 years and all of the guys that I was there with that became paramedics are all full time somewhere. I never wanted to be a paramedic so I just applied at the few that didnít require it and it was extremely competitive 20 years ago. Competing with 600 applicants for a few positions. From what Iíve been told now pretty much all of them require it since fire calls our way down and medical calls are basically all the FDs do nowadays. The city itself has like 20,000 people applying so that is basically like winning the lotto if you get called for that

I would work on your paramedic and also try to get an apprenticeship with the ironworkers because the fire department might not work out for whatever reason. There are plenty of things that could disqualify you that you would never think of. A heart murmur might disqualify you, or you might fail the psychological or polygraph exam. There is no rhyme or reason to the psychological exams that they give you and they donít tell you why you failed. Itís just the way it is

Also to make sure you keep your credit in good standing because some departments check your credit history with your credit score and if you have bad credit it might disqualify you as well

And for gods sake do not smoke any weed or take any illegal drugs because most of them do hair samples now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Last edited by Windycity; 01-20-2018 at 08:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (01-21-2018)