SWPPP Knownledge - Commercial Construction - Contractor Talk

SWPPP Knownledge

Old 03-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 16

SWPPP Knownledge

Looking into learning more about SWPPP and how different parts work like straw swaddle etc... Possibly looking into getting my QSP down the road. Also are there any good sources out there for estimating just based off square footage for SWPPP and what would be needed by the size of the project. It seems square footage estimate are looked down at but just wondering.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,612

Re: SWPPP Knownledge

All SWPPP's are site specific and the QSD takes in to account all the potential factors.

The use of swaddle is by design. Usually on a SWPPP it can be used to prevent/limit runoff from a bank, stock piles, in conjunction with filter fabric of DI's etc....

It would be difficult to give a sq. ft. price on a SWPPP due to many variables. Also the price would not include monitoring.

There is one price for design, one for monitoring & then the costs of implementing it.

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,689

A very wet year around here could drown you financially. I see a huge variation in enforcement of the rules around here, that could make or break a newby SWPPP contractor.

maybe your supply chain could act as a 'mentor' or rabbi to educate you on the finer points of bidding.

Read and reread all regulatory documents, State and Federal, and possible local and area government agencies overlays. very few players are in 100 % compliance, but will the Minions allow YOU the same scope?

Was that storm sewer full of eroded dirt prior to your contract or not? can you prove it one way or the other?

If I total my snowmobile on one of your steel fence posts you forgot to remove after the grass grew in the road ditch, do I get to have your house?

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 03-08-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 11:39 PM   #4

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 16

Thanks for the information so far. I don't plan to go out on my own as a swppp contractor. The company I work for just mentioned it that they would pay(reimburse) for my QSP cert and then for the job I would be on and local ones around I would be kind of an in-house monitor for swppp related items once placed by the swppp sub.
The Following User Says Thank You to jxm9459 For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (03-08-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 4,692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
A very wet year around here could drown you financially. I see a huge variation in enforcement of the rules around here, that could make or break a newby SWPPP contractor.

maybe your supply chain could act as a 'mentor' or rabbi to educate you on the finer points of bidding.

Read and reread all regulatory documents, State and Federal, and possible local and area government agencies overlays. very few players are in 100 % compliance, but will the Minions allow YOU the same scope?

Was that storm sewer full of eroded dirt prior to your contract or not? can you prove it one way or the other?

If I total my snowmobile on one of your steel fence posts you forgot to remove after the grass grew in the road ditch, do I get to have your house?
^^^---This guys replies - are always the most puzzling - makes think its a bot...
Old 03-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,612

A SWPPP is an engineered plan.

In California the SWPPP is registered with the local water quality control board. The local city/county health dept. likely will watch also. Depending on the project you can have environmental groups breathing down your neck.

SWPPP monitoring is an open ended contract as the site & test results must be reviewed after/during a weather event or an issue caused on the site.

A great deal of responsibility comes with being a QSP.

For liability & transparency reasons it is probably a bad idea to be your own QSP, sort of like inspecting your own work.

Fines can get expensive REAL quick.

Advertisement