How Do You Manage/track Inventory Shipped To And From Your Job Site? - Commercial Construction - Contractor Talk

How Do You Manage/track Inventory Shipped To And From Your Job Site?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Baby Sitter for Grown Men

Trade: Project Superintendent
Rewards Points: 233

How Do You Manage/track Inventory Shipped To And From Your Job Site?

There has got to be a better way than what we are doing.

I find that the large shipments are fairly easy to manage and track.

We have to do a better job tracking some of the smaller orders.
For example;
Wrong hardware that is shipped to us, we receive a replacement and are suppose to ship the wrong item back; These often get misplaced or lost track of.
Light fixtures always seem to be a problem. Replacements for broken fixtures and spec'd fixtures which don't work in the application. These arrive, and electricans typically don't let us know. The fixtures to be returned get lost.or misplaced, or parts are missing from the boxes.
Appliances arrive, a small % are damaged and shipped back. Inevatibly a small number of appliances get overlooked, replacements have not been shipped, and back tracking the paperwork to see where the replacements went or if they were even shipped is a major headache.

So I want to change the method in which inventory is handled so that it's easier to track. Less items are lost. damaged or mishandled.

Any tips or suggestions on this are most welcome

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Consultant
Rewards Points: 500

Re: How Do You Manage/track Inventory Shipped To And From Your Job Site?

You need a log to track what got ordered, what came in, what went back for replacement, what got received for the replacements, etc. Set up a separate sheet for each trade/item, and keep it in front of the file that has all the backup paperwork/tickets.

For things like light fixtures that are going to be received, inventoried, and generally managed by a sub, consider assigning the purchase order to them as part of their contract, which will make them more likely to take responsibility for what comes in, what's wrong, etc.

Bob

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Baby Sitter for Grown Men

Trade: Project Superintendent
Rewards Points: 233

Thanks, yes that is a good suggestion. We had been talking about various subcontractors, and when I have the opportunity to create or modify the scope of work or contract for the next project, we can add that.

Most of the projects that I have worked on, I seem to be coming on board after they have started, so I don't have the chance to have input on the initial contracts.

The suggestion of a log or ticket for items coming and going is a good one. It would have to be something simple and quick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #4

Trade: General Contracting - Commercial
Rewards Points: 10

If you come into the project after scopes and contracts are produced, issue a Change Order to the sub and include offload / inventory of owner or contractor provided items to his scope. Have them tell you what it is worth, if anything.

Regardless of writing this in their scope, they still won't do it unless you hold their hand. I primarily do jobs for owners who provide a substantial amount of materials. I have designated one contractor (Fixture Installer) to track all deliveries / Purchase Orders. Each trade is responsible for offload / inventory of the deliveries within their scope of work. All delivery tickets are forwarded to my fixture installer, who logs them into a simple Excel spreadsheet.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Besides the paperwork side of it, I've always had good success with a visual clue. I keep a big box that says "TO BE RETURNED", anything to be returned gets thrown in the box. There are no questions 3 weeks later about "Hey what is this stuff here?".

What's the box say? "To be returned." Well, I'll give you 3 guesses what that stuff is about then.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

If the project is large enough a materials manager should be accepting all material brought to site, he is responsible for ensuring damage/theft/losses do not happen. This generally is not a full time job but one of the guys on the job looking to work his way up the ladder to PM or Site Super would be ideal along with his regular duties

Advertisement