Any Idea - Commercial Construction - Contractor Talk

Any Idea

Old 09-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

Trade: excavation
Rewards Points: 10

Any Idea

i have a question may be some can figure out I am new to forum and been in a struggle to figure this demo job removing old steam and water pipe in a large area with boilers an up to 8 in cast iron pipes. just pipes need respirators and a bobcat for pipes to get from back of basment probably 5000 feet or more of pipe how the hell do you price it lol

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 8,412

Re: Any Idea

Incoming.

Advertisement

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
avenge (09-12-2018), BlueRidgeGreen (09-12-2018), Bull Trout (09-13-2018), Calidecks (09-12-2018), Jay hole (09-12-2018), shanewreckd (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdexcavation View Post
i have a question may be some can figure out I am new to forum and been in a struggle to figure this demo job removing old steam and water pipe in a large area with boilers an up to 8 in cast iron pipes. just pipes need respirators and a bobcat for pipes to get from back of basment probably 5000 feet or more of pipe how the hell do you price it lol
very first thing to figure out is if there is any asbestos pipe insulation.

if you are removing the boilers they likely have asbestos also.

divide the area up into sections and then estimate how long it will take your crew to remove that section.

don't forget trucking/disposal costs.

check on a recycler to take pipe & boilers.

read your specs carefully as to how to deal with hangers and plugging capping any remaining pipes.

also check for what condition owner expects the area to be left in.

there will be some economy of scale as you will be mobilized and some man hours likely shared from one section to another.

Last edited by griz; 09-12-2018 at 07:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
bdexcavation (09-13-2018), Easy Gibson (09-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 12,744

How you price things is a great question actually. What to charge is what's frowned upon.

Mike.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #5

Just got big job in boston to remove steam pipe out of 4 commercial building. 1 system. Will need ventilator and a skid steer steer with attachments to lower the and move pipe around 1 garage door 120 feet away so need fans. The worst part of it all the guy want it to be dismantled peice by peice and only cut parts that won't budge. Lots of wd40 and jack stands. I need help with this one and the pipe goes all over the place. Attached pictures. Not sure what to do but huge opportunity.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #6

there is no asbestos all removed but you no still safety for guys in a large basement with poor circulation. i thinking two or three month to remove it piece buy piece. and machine fuel and still profit. i was thinking in the 75k thru 90k range but not sure if that is expensive for clean out. 4 laborers and a operator for skid steer. plus getting rid of pipe. is there like a formula for pipes. some section have 5 pipe going the length of 4 buildings

and the area is full of **** we have to work around! is 3 months two short or two long and is my range right or wrong payroll will be more than 10k per month. average guy gets rate of 18
Old 09-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #7
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdexcavation View Post
there is no asbestos all removed but you no still safety for guys in a large basement with poor circulation. i thinking two or three month to remove it piece buy piece. and machine fuel and still profit. i was thinking in the 75k thru 90k range but not sure if that is expensive for clean out. 4 laborers and a operator for skid steer. plus getting rid of pipe. is there like a formula for pipes. some section have 5 pipe going the length of 4 buildings

and the area is full of **** we have to work around! is 3 months two short or two long and is my range right or wrong payroll will be more than 10k per month. average guy gets rate of 18
doesn't matter if that is expensive for cleanout if that is what you figured it would cost.

payroll figure sounds low especially when you add the burden.
bdexcavation (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 578

I would invest in an exhaust scrubber for the machinery.

Quote:
Foley Environmental's award-winning Exhaust Purifiers and Scrubbers allow you to breathe engine exhaust without any health risks.
https://www.foleyengines.com/product...ust-scrubbers/

They're not cheap but a lot easier and safer than setting up a bunch of fans and hoping no one gets sick from the fumes.

www.gebcon.com
Old 09-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #9

the fans where just to keep fresh air circulating its a old basement and the filter is a perfect plan. I was wondering more on how price work. believe me i am taking every safety precaution i can to make sure everything runs smoothly.

I was thinking my pay scale was low but trying to compensate and give best price. I do not miss this opportunity because i was to high. skid steer lights and ventilation not to mention all the tools of the trades. plus hauling thanks guy for help
Old 09-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,632

5,000 feet of cast iron pipe will amount to a lot of money in scrap value. Most demo contractors will take this into consideration when pricing/bidding.

Advertisement