Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

White haze and dots on stamped concrete?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  NYCB 
#1 ·
Not sure if this had a sealer on it before... but there is a white haze over the entire area, and little white dots. Cleaned it with a pressure washer and they are still there. Someone I asked said the dots are where rocks are close to the surface, which caused the colorant to not adhere properly, and that nothing could really be done. The dots are primarily in the sunny areas.

Would this condition be caused from rocks near the surface causing the colorant (or maybe sealer, or both) to disappear, and do so mostly in the sunny areas?

I asked two knowledgeable people and got slightly different answers, but the guy that said it was rocks near the surface probably knows more... wanting to confirm.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys. This is around a pool at a customers house that I am cleaning and sealing. It's about 10 years old and they weren't sure if it had been sealed before. I didn't know if maybe it was old sealer that had deteriorated or something.

Anyway, the customer was ok with proceeding, but I wanted to do some more research before I sealed. I have something for efflorescence, and will give it a shot. If not, I did a small test area with the sealant, and it seemed to make the dots less noticeable.

#9 ·
Do a test spot. Clean it, antique, and seal it with a good high gloss sealer and see if it goes away.

Lots of time once the sealer gets on it, it brings all the life back into the color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.