Resource For Learning How To Use A Ride On Trowel? - Concrete & Paving - Contractor Talk

Resource For Learning How To Use A Ride On Trowel?

Old 05-02-2019, 03:52 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 400

Resource For Learning How To Use A Ride On Trowel?

Anyone have any literature, or a link to some, for how to correctly operate a ride on trowel?

Not so much the actual driving of the thing, since that is going to just require practice, put proper pattern and lapping.

Is it the same as a walk behind machine were you move sideways while lapping back every other pass, or are you moving forward and backward?

I plan on renting one at some point to learn (I can do it in an earthen pit or some other slab that is getting totally covered, to prevent any major screw ups) with the idea being if I need one after that I will be able to rent or buy one confidently.

I feel a small 6 foot machine could really reduce that "I just got hit by a truck" feeling that larger residential floors tend to give you, when you are done, especially if paired with an edging sized machine to help reduce hand work.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 05:03 AM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,178

Re: Resource For Learning How To Use A Ride On Trowel?

There's a Youtube for that.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...e+power+trowel

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 864

I can't ever see the need for a ride on machine on residential work. In my mind it would be an inconvenience just handling the thing, getting it on / off slab, etc. We never break out the riders until we get 15,000 SF and bigger pours.

What's a large residential slab, 3,000 SF?
Piece of cake with a 4' standard machine and a 2' machine for edges, tight quarters, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (05-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
I can't ever see the need for a ride on machine on residential work. In my mind it would be an inconvenience just handling the thing, getting it on / off slab, etc. We never break out the riders until we get 15,000 SF and bigger pours.

What's a large residential slab, 3,000 SF?
Piece of cake with a 4' standard machine and a 2' machine for edges, tight quarters, etc.
I was thinking anything in the summer and over 3000 ft.

Once we start getting past that number two guys finishing turns into work often.

I sold my 48" machines, I didn't really enjoy using them, so we typically only use 36" machines.

I did 4500 ft like that once, with a nice stiff breeze over it to boot......we had to hustle. I was thinking renting a rider and knowing how to use it would have helped a lot on that one, instead of having two guys on the floor one guy could have been working edges the whole time while the rider could easily handle the rest of it.