New To Stamped Concrete - Concrete & Paving - Contractor Talk

New To Stamped Concrete

Old 06-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #1

Trade: General Contracting/Concrete
Rewards Points: 136

New To Stamped Concrete

I'm looking to get into stamped concrete. I have a client thats wants about 300sqft of sidewalk stamped(seamless). I feel like it might be a good job to try stamping for the first time.

I am a little hesitant because no one on my crew has experience stamping(including me).

I'm trying to think of everything that could go wrong and if it would be worth doing it.

My other option would be to wait until I can bring someone on site that has more experience. However, I'm not to sure how many simple sidewalk-only jobs there will be. I think I might be more comfortable stamping a side walk on my own than a decent size patio with someone more experienced.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Mainly what can go wrong, what to look for, what can be fix and what cant be fixed.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
CCC

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 537

Re: New To Stamped Concrete

Youtube is your friend. Ive decided you can become a pro on anything after 3 Youtube videos.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to CConcreteEx For This Useful Post:
francodamico1 (08-04-2016)
Old 06-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #3

I've gathered research from several different sources. I'm not trying to take on some obscure endeavor. I'm looking for advice on a technique within my trade that I am not too familiar with.

Have you ever experimented with a new technique or a new piece of equipment?

There are some things worth trying and some that aren't. That's why I'm asking here, to get opinions from those with more experience.

Maybe stamping isn't one of those things. My thought was if it was worth trying, a small sidewalk might be the perfect job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 58

Have you looked in to the cost of the stamps?

How many patterns will you offer?

Any idea of the frequency of use?

What could go wrong, for starters it's concrete.

IMO, the best move would be to go work with someone who does it on a few pours or hire a guy who knows how to do it.

Good luck.
greg24k (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 05:30 AM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,472

I would change the attitude you starting out with "I feel like it might be a good job to try stamping for the first time." Change it to " I know what I'm doing and I will bang this guy out and I will do a damn good job on it"

With that said, if you gonna try it for the first time I wouldn't experience on the HO...unless like Griz and you said yourself, bring someone else with you who has experience this way you can see the whole process.

But if you willing to do that, tell the HO this is your first time doing it, I will give you a good price if you have confidence in me and make him sign something that he is aware of that it's your first time doing it. This way at least if you mess or something goes wrong or he dont like something it will be half of your burden.
He will respect that and that would be a fair choice for him to make, if he don't hire you, do a sidewalk in your backyard, and see how it will come out, this way you know what you have to bring to the next job and if you can do it or not... and believe me there is a few things that can go wrong...
Old 06-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Have you looked in to the cost of the stamps?

How many patterns will you offer?

Any idea of the frequency of use?

What could go wrong, for starters it's concrete.

IMO, the best move would be to go work with someone who does it on a few pours or hire a guy who knows how to do it.

Good luck.
I'm not looking to jump right into it and advertise that I do decorative concrete. I'm just looking to get my feet wet for now. I know the costs, I'm not to sure of the frequency at this point. It is growing in the area, and is definitely something I would like to know how to do.

I'm going to try to see if I can bring on someone with experience.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

I would see if you could partner with someone that has done it. Offer him his daily rate to come in and help you stamp/color it. This way you don't have to buy stamps and can have an experienced person on your site.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #8
CCC

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by klintala View Post
I've gathered research from several different sources. I'm not trying to take on some obscure endeavor. I'm looking for advice on a technique within my trade that I am not too familiar with.

Have you ever experimented with a new technique or a new piece of equipment?

There are some things worth trying and some that aren't. That's why I'm asking here, to get opinions from those with more experience.

Maybe stamping isn't one of those things. My thought was if it was worth trying, a small sidewalk might be the perfect job.
We can give you advice till were blue in the face but the fact is, hire someone with a few jobs under their belt. Its not hard, its timing and being precise as long as you follow the correct steps. Wasn't trying to be snarky, really watch "how to" videos on Youtube. It'll save you a lot of time and questions. They answer all the questions you want to know. They show you step by step.
The Following User Says Thank You to CConcreteEx For This Useful Post:
Rio (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice.

I've made a few calls and will most likely be able to bring someone with more experience on board for the first few pours.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Forewarned is forearmed.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Use these problems to test your new guy.

Last edited by GettingBy; 06-28-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 474

Stamping isn't terribly complicated, but it's all about timing.

Luckily, seamless is pretty easy.

I usually get the concrete on the ground, get it closed up nice, then edge it and wipe out the line with a worn out float.

Directly before stamping I like to cream it up with sliders and some hand floats, at the same time someone else is doing the final edging. Then jump right into casting release and stamping.

The trick with seamless is to make sure you flip the edges and stamp out the seam, then rotate the stamp before you move.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitdwnandhngon View Post
Stamping isn't terribly complicated, but it's all about timing.

Luckily, seamless is pretty easy.

I usually get the concrete on the ground, get it closed up nice, then edge it and wipe out the line with a worn out float.

Directly before stamping I like to cream it up with sliders and some hand floats, at the same time someone else is doing the final edging. Then jump right into casting release and stamping.

The trick with seamless is to make sure you flip the edges and stamp out the seam, then rotate the stamp before you move.
Good advice, and I agree that seamless is definately easier than patterned, by a long shot. As for the bold though, I tend to disagree, the "trick" is to roll seamless texture:

http://www.concretesupplyhouse.com/c...xture-rollers/

We "roll" a few hundred yards of concrete every season, and have been for years. It's rare that we take the "elephant" mats down from the mezzanie anymore, as the rollers are just that much easier.

That said, a 300 sq. foot sidewalk isn't small by any means when you've never stamped before. I would start by talking to the supplier where you'll be getting your stamping supplies from. I guarantee they will be able to help you, and someone on the staff has to have experience.

Also, there HAS to be something you can pour at home or at the shop that you can practice on first????
Old 06-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 474

The rollers are pretty neat for a very plain pattern, like sandstone.

Granite with heavy clefts is very popular around here though, and to make it look good you need at least 4 different mats, 6 different mats preferably.

Advertisement