Geo Thermal Concrete Roof Questions: - Concrete & Paving - Contractor Talk

Geo Thermal Concrete Roof Questions:

Old 03-19-2019, 10:14 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2

Geo Thermal Concrete Roof Questions:

Hello,

Newbie here.

First of all, I am not a concrete professional. I know the basics of prepping for a pour and which end of a shovel to use. Making it pretty, I leave to the experts.

I'm looking to buy a parcel of land in Guam and I want to build underground to take advantage of geothermal cooling and hurricane protection. I'm not a prepper or looking to build a doomsday bunker.

Details aside, I want my end result to be underground 18 to 24 inches of sandy loam.

What thickness and internal support is needed to span and carry the dirt weight of 12 feet width (16 feet length)? The biggest room would be 12 x 16.

Does the ICC Code have any guidelines for this?

Should I hire/pay for engineer plans and just own said plans and not have to worry about it?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if I asked the questions poorly. Not my field, just want a cool temp house underground that won't get blown away.

Cheers.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,348

Re: Geo Thermal Concrete Roof Questions:

for your design specs, loads, potential for high wind loads, drainage, etc..

i'd hire and engineer or architect to hopefully solve all the design issues before construction.

have fun & good luck....

Advertisement