Garage Slab Over Existing Concrete - Concrete & Paving - Contractor Talk

Garage Slab Over Existing Concrete

Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

Trade: general remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Garage Slab Over Existing Concrete

I am going to be building a new garage after demoing an existing garage. The new garage will larger and the slab will be about 18 inches higher the the existing slab. Is it ok to put 12" of gravel/crushed rock or limestone as a base over the old slab and then pour a new engineered slab over it? The present slab has been in place for at least 60 years. The reason for doing this is cost and not disturbing the existing soil. thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,464

Re: Garage Slab Over Existing Concrete

What does your local inspector say?

Also, why don't you go to the intro section and tell us about yourself, what you do, and where you're from. That will help us help you.

Advertisement