Engine Sizing For Pan On Walk Behind Trowel? - Concrete & Paving - Contractor Talk

Engine Sizing For Pan On Walk Behind Trowel?

Old 05-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 400

Engine Sizing For Pan On Walk Behind Trowel?

I have a Toro (Stone) 36" and an older Stone 36" machine that both have a Honda GX160 (5.5 HP) engine on them.

I have a 36" pan I've tried to use a few times and the engine just seems to be working way too hard with it, and I had the belt start smoking once.

Which is a shame because I prefer the pan over the float shoes, makes things flatter and is less clean up on the blades after switching to finish blades.

It seems like Allen, MQ and Bartell all have a GX270 option on their 36" machines.

I'm assuming those are the machines (8.5 HP) required to run a pan.

Before I go and buy one can anyone chime in with experience? Any preferred brands?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,380

Re: Engine Sizing For Pan On Walk Behind Trowel?

Pulling a pan is all about friction. My trowels are all 8hp and it isn't an issue. I would also presume that any older pan with any surface issues would be tough to pull.

Advertisement

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 05-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Pro

I called MQ today and they told me they only really recommend pans on the machines with the larger engine.

So I called 3 different supply houses and none had an 36" machines with the larger engine.

Might have to order one.

I rented one of the new MQ models awhile ago with the hand clutch safety thing and hated that, so it might have to be an Allen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 898

You could always put a bigger engine on the one you have......Make a HotRod out of it.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
You could always put a bigger engine on the one you have......Make a HotRod out of it.
Don't think for a second the thought didn't cross my mind.

Harbor Frieght has a memorial day sale going on. I think their 9hp engine is like $270.

I had a predator engine on my first trowel I bought and the thing was a trooper, but I think now I need to keep my machines stock, at least the ones that are mandatory for a smooth concrete day.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post:
tgeb (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 166

We use a Wacker 36 with the 5.5 hp, pan all the time with it. Sure, it pulls a little harder, but I wouldn't say it struggles at all. Come to think of it, most competitors around here pan with the same. Are you sure you don't have high speed burnishing machines? You'll want a max rotor speed of 100-125 rpm for panning. Perhaps it's as easy as swapping out the pulleys? I would personally look into that long before I considered dealing with the extra 25#s of a bigger motor.......
Old 05-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post
We use a Wacker 36 with the 5.5 hp, pan all the time with it. Sure, it pulls a little harder, but I wouldn't say it struggles at all. Come to think of it, most competitors around here pan with the same. Are you sure you don't have high speed burnishing machines? You'll want a max rotor speed of 100-125 rpm for panning. Perhaps it's as easy as swapping out the pulleys? I would personally look into that long before I considered dealing with the extra 25#s of a bigger motor.......
No idea, but the thought of gearing did cross my mind. When I open it up to full throttle it will really spin the blades.

When I try the pan on either of the machines I can do a lapping left pass, but as soon as I try to bring it back to the right it will start to struggle then stall.

With float shoes it doesn't struggle at all, but it's far less friction.

I wouldn't mind an extra 25 lbs on a lot of days, we had to fight the wind a couple weeks ago and I would have taken an extra 50 during that struggle.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 166

If you're never using it near full throttle, I'd be inclined to say it could benefit from being geared down.

Could be something wrong with the carb on the motor as well, maybe it only shows up when bogged down? I know I've had far more problems with Honda carbs in the last 2-3 years than I ever have before. Also, seem to have issues with the things vapor locking due to the vent in the gas cap plugging.

Shouldn't be too hard to add additional weight to a machine when needed. Personally, I wish my machine was lighter 99% of the time so we could get done faster.......

Advertisement