Concrete Chipping When Cut With Saw???? - Concrete & Paving - Contractor Talk

Concrete Chipping When Cut With Saw????

Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

Concrete Chipping When Cut With Saw????

I just poured some concrete and went to cut it two days later. I just bought a brand new stihl cuttoff saw and brand new high quality blade. When I started cutting I notices that I was getting a lot of chipping along my saw line.

Anyone know why?

I talked to my local ready mix guy and he thought it was because of the vibration in the saw. What do you guys think?

I don't want to have to rent a walkbehind saw everytime I have to cut concrete.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General, Electrical, and Plumbing Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Concrete Chipping When Cut With Saw????

First did you check the basics, is the blade running true?

Is it a diamond blade or abrasive?

If a diamond blade is it a wet or dry blade?

Is the blade the right size arbor, or do you have one of those Stihl plastic adapter bushings in there.

Now the best investment I bought for our Stihl cut off saw was a Quik Cart. This is a small cart specially made for your saw so you can use it like a walk behind. Available from Stihl, and it sure beats bending over trying to keep the saw straight and true.

Our cart doesn't have the water tank since we only use dry diamond blades, and also a older model so isn't as nice as the one in the pic and doesn't have the handle for height adjustment at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete chipping when cut with saw????-ts420cart.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Kgmz; 07-14-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Concrete contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Green concrete will chip everytime if you use a regular concrete saw. The answer to your problem is a SOFFCUT, It's the only was to go in my opinion. You can saw inside corners the same day you pour. If you do stick with the stihl saw run it one of two ways either idle or wide open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 442

Too much RPM. Those demo saws spin at 8k+ soffcut saws are around 3-4k.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Concrete & General Construction
Rewards Points: 514

If it had been two days after the pour, the concrete should not have been too wet to have used a regular saw. Soff cut saws are for the same or next day. Unless this pour was in a basement or other high humidity area.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 250

First of all,2 days later is really to late to cut concrete,problem is, any earlier and you will have minor chipping on the edges of the cut.You can keep it to a minimum by keeping the rpm down and keep the saw running true so the blade doesn't bind in the cut.
The Following User Says Thank You to house bldr For This Useful Post:
Spencer (07-15-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

Hey I really appreciate all the good advice guys.

I did decide to rent a walkbehind today from my local ready mix plant. ($40) It was the way to go. It produced a very nice cut. It was at least a sixteenth thinner than my cutoff saw??? It looks a lot better. I think until I can buy my own I will continue to rent one on jobs like this.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Concrete contractor

You can buy a soffcut x150 for under 2 grand, well worth it
Old 10-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #9

Trade: Account Manager

x-150 is also only a 6" blade It depends what are you using the soffcut for you are talking about late entry into green concrete. You have two options Use the Soffcut brand or the Greencut brand. What is the difference. When you are using the Soffcut blades you are suppose to change the guard every 2 blades. Kinda gets expensive after a while if you use it alot. There is a nice feature about Greencut With every blade you get a boot which eliminates the need to keep buying/replacing the guard. But Yes a green concrete blade will be what you want. The bonds of the blade also matter though when it comes to cutting green concrete because it is really abrasive at that state. So the different hardness and softness in the bonds matters so you do not glaze over the blade and you get a nice clean cut.

Advertisement