Board-Formed Concrete - Concrete & Paving - Contractor Talk

Board-Formed Concrete

Old 05-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Stonemason

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 616

Board-Formed Concrete

Hi all,

We are currently roughing in 3 large fireplaces for a custome home on an island property. We' ve been asked to complete the project by cladding the fireplaces in "board-formed" concrete.

We've done a little bit of this type of thing in the past, but never on such a scale. Each of the fireplaces is 10 feet wide by 3 feet deep and roughly 30 feet tall. All four sides are to be clad in concrete as the glass walls of the house abut the fireplaces on either side. There is of course a small break in the concrete at ceiling/soffit height.

Because we are dealing with an island location, the logistics of getting concrete trucks and pumps to the site are difficult... Not impossible, but difficult. Secondly, it is unlikely that we would be able to pour everything in 1 shot... Perhaps not even in two or three phases... So, pretty much resigning ourselves to mixing on site the old-fashioned way... Portland/concrete gravel etc.

We are likely going to purchase a small pump of some kind... We are considering a portable grout pump made by 'Airplaco' which will handle 3/8 or 3/4 aggregate depending on the model.

We will be using rough-sawn pine planking for the forms. The boards will be run through a wire-brush machine or sandblasted to really bring out the grain of the wood.

Of course we will be doing a few large sample panels to ensure that we can produce a reliable, repeatable mix and placement method.

So...

Any words of wisdom you would care to share?

Specifically, thoughts on appropriate aggregate size, mix profile, placement methods... Previous experiences good/bad with board formed concrete...

I'm certainly not up on all the latest regarding concrete. Should we be considering specific additives for our mix? i.e. To increse slump/workability without increasing water content.

Any thoughts on the Airplaco grout/concrete pumps would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by bytor; 05-02-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Stonemasonry
Rewards Points: 662

Re: Board-Formed Concrete

Bytor, I'm no concrete guy, but the first thing that occurs to me is maybe they would accept precast panels. That way if something goes a little wrong in the pour, you just chuck the faulty piece and don't have to demo the cast in place concrete. Also would eliminate extensive formwork, pumps, etc. I would be comfortable handling 16 SF panels at 2-2.5" thick...

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,330

We had someone looking for the same thing a couple years ago, they hired someone else but I was going to use the concrete as a 4" veneer after the blockwork was done. My pal was going to handle the forming of it in sections, tongue and groove something like they make ceilings out of. Bout as far as I got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,676

Since this is a one side form and pour,you will need some stout bracing to withstand the hydro-static pressure imposed on the forms. For I'AM sure they do not want to see form ties. I would use a plastisizer to enhance flow without increasing slump. Do not forget to vibrate,consolidate the concrete. Honeycombs would undoubtedly wreck the hole thing.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
Pro

I looked at the pump co. you posted. Unless I viewed it wrong,you cannot pump a pea gravel mix. I would think a pea gravel mix would be what the Dr. would order.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #6

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 18

Wow. Lots of things to consider here. 30' tall single form, 4 sided?

Sounds awesome! I love it. A challenge indeed.

I would look for a pre prortioned mix (bag mix) of high quality for this application. Think of water reducers, plasticizers to reduce the need for mix water if you were forced to mix this.

it would be preferable to use ready mix through a grout pump (pea gravel) likely a high strength mix with a ton of dope (water reducer)

The form work is what I'm interested in. Please post pics of that!

Last edited by StainConcrete; 05-02-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Needed to add the info asked for
Old 05-03-2015, 06:14 AM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,926

I've worked on a job just like this. I didn't do the crete work, but all the other masonry including building the fireplaces in the already poured chimneys.
As far as the formwork they lined the panels with sandblasted wood as mentioned. They were laid in meticulously as the owner was CRAZY about continuity in the joints. They started with some type of plastic or fiberglass tie, but in the larger pours they were breaking so the went to steel which is now problematic because of rust. The chimney was poured in two stages.

Last edited by CJKarl; 05-03-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:15 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,926

Sounds like another one of a kind Bytor project.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
building Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 160

This fireplace is 10' wide, 18" deep and 23' tall. We skim coated with concrete instead of pouring. We used Butterfield MT resurfacer, then stained and sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
Board-Formed Concrete-1430661382071.jpg  
CConcreteEx (05-03-2015), fjn (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Would'nt it be easier and quicker to form with ply with architectural panels attached to the inside?We used the process in FL for exterior sheerwalls going 20 floors.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS View Post
This fireplace is 10' wide, 18" deep and 23' tall. We skim coated with concrete instead of pouring. We used Butterfield MT resurfacer, then stained and sealed.

Looks very nice. Furthermore,sounds like a great idea. The architectural board formed concrete I did ,the specs. called for no visible snap ties. The bracing to pull that off was a challenge and a half.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
CCC

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 537

Could you rent a mixer truck. One of the ones that mix and add all the materials onsite and then mix at the same time?
Old 05-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
Looks very nice. Furthermore,sounds like a great idea. The architectural board formed concrete I did ,the specs. called for no visible snap ties. The bracing to pull that off was a challenge and a half.
Figure it might be.We used Simon forms and know it was very expensive then.Simon forms would be more rigid and take less bracing but still a challenge and expensive.We had all our own forms so that helped.
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
fjn (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #14
Pro

Rewards Points: 9,330

If It were me I would approach this as possibly a multi, multi day, week(2) long pour. There is no hurry right, people have the money to do it right, so make a big ass form and slide boards down on it, do 5' a day-whatever. Do the chimney first and pour 5'. No pressure really, next day add more boards pour. Not sure how to get the best finish, but I would feel confident I could take forever to do this thing and have it come out right

Advertisement