Autocad V Autocad Architectural - Drafting & CAD Forum - Contractor Talk

Autocad V Autocad Architectural

Old 11-27-2016, 10:52 PM   #1
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

Autocad V Autocad Architectural

I already own and use Chief Architect x8 and I'm looking to lease Autocad.

Straight Autocad is $175/mo
Autocad Architectural is $195/mo

I'm hoping I don't have to enter into a contract since the month to month option is more than the yearly rate. This way I can lease only when I have a new design job and not during dry spells. I could add the lease expense to each job as overhead and see how that goes.

I'm about to D/L Autocad Architectural to try it as a demo. Has anyone reading this thread used it or has some insights they wish to share?

I know Revit would be great, but I tried the demo and it's learning curve (without a class or two) is too much for me.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/General Contracting
Rewards Points: 197

Re: Autocad V Autocad Architectural

If you already own Chief why go to Autocad? I have copies of Chief, Revit LT, Autocad LT, and Chief is a way better option than Autocad. I switch between Chief and Revit for projects mainly just to keep my practice up on both programs. I only use Autocad to create details or shop drawing for custom brackets.

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
CAD Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnrhodes View Post
If you already own Chief why go to Autocad? I have copies of Chief, Revit LT, Autocad LT, and Chief is a way better option than Autocad. I switch between Chief and Revit for projects mainly just to keep my practice up on both programs. I only use Autocad to create details or shop drawing for custom brackets.
I'm not able to make chief drawings look exactly as I can with AutoCAD. I use chief to get the model right, then I export to AutoCAD to do dimensioning, leaders, placement, etc. I'm just more used to AutoCAD I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
I'm not able to make chief drawings look exactly as I can with AutoCAD. I use chief to get the model right, then I export to AutoCAD to do dimensioning, leaders, placement, etc. I'm just more used to AutoCAD I guess.
Go with The AutoCad architectural. It works just like-similar to Cheif for modeling using parametric objects. You have layers (depth) of control over how everything is displayed. Line weights, Fonts ..... the whole nut. Biggest issue is the complexity of knowing where everything is or is hidden. You already know "AutoCad" so you have a jump on learning the Architectural (overlay) on AutoCad.

I've used AutoCad - Architectural since 1999. Used Form-Z, TurboCad have tried many others. To each his own, but AutoCad is still the best in my opinion.

Last edited by Texas Wax; 11-28-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,872

Have you considered AutoCAD LT? For 2d drafting I've heard it works just about as good as the full blown AutoCAD and also heard that the lease is something like 60-70 bucks a month which also includes Revit LT.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
CAD Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Have you considered AutoCAD LT? For 2d drafting I've heard it works just about as good as the full blown AutoCAD and also heard that the lease is something like 60-70 bucks a month which also includes Revit LT.
I was on CAD Tutor reading some POVs and I have learned that LT doesn't support LISPs and some other tools so that would be a pain. I have found some pretty great LISPs. And the Mac version has WAY less features than the windows version (for the same price) so I will have to get a windows machine.....so that sucks.

I could probably make 80% what I do work with LT so I guess I might have to re-look what my design priorities are. I mean, you're right, $45/mo is nothing to sneeze at.

I really wish I could get better with CA. Every video I watch never seems to go into the areas I want to master. I see some really great CA plans out there but not much in the way of showing how to get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to wallmaxx For This Useful Post:
Rio (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,780

Quote:
I was on CAD Tutor reading some POVs and I have learned that LT doesn't support LISPs and some other tools so that would be a pain. I have found some pretty great LISPs. And the Mac version has WAY less features than the windows version (for the same price) so I will have to get a windows machine.....so that sucks.

I could probably make 80% what I do work with LT so I guess I might have to re-look what my design priorities are. I mean, you're right, $45/mo is nothing to sneeze at.

I really wish I could get better with CA. Every video I watch never seems to go into the areas I want to master. I see some really great CA plans out there but not much in the way of showing how to get there.

I find that the cad tools in AutoCad are much more powerful than they are in Chief, but that said I also find I do not have a need for all that power in AC. All that power just gets in the way of creating fast and sufficiently accurate cad details.
That is my experience and probably my needs are not as great as yours. Hell, I don't even know what LISPS are (although I just now checked it out). I have never had the need to use LISt Programing.

I don't think Chief uses that either but maybe the equivalent would be the Ruby Script?

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
Rio (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #8

Trade: Residential design/build
Rewards Points: 46

Quote:
I already own and use Chief Architect x8 and I'm looking to lease Autocad.

Straight Autocad is $175/mo
Autocad Architectural is $195/mo

I'm hoping I don't have to enter into a contract since the month to month option is more than the yearly rate. This way I can lease only when I have a new design job and not during dry spells. I could add the lease expense to each job as overhead and see how that goes.

I'm about to D/L Autocad Architectural to try it as a demo. Has anyone reading this thread used it or has some insights they wish to share?

I know Revit would be great, but I tried the demo and it's learning curve (without a class or two) is too much for me.

Thanks for any input.

Mike
My Revit teacher stressed many times how modeling programs are altogether different than Autocad.
Even drawing lines in Revit is altogether different than Autocad.
I started an Architectural desktop course once (had to stop for family reasons), and I found that very complicated.
Even though I love Revit (and I agree a semester of study is a great idea to learn Revit), Chief seems to be a major contender in the modeling and blueprint field.
I used to go back to Autocad too because of the frustration.
But now that I have forced myself to use and understand that a parametric modeling program is the best fit, Revit, gives me the best possible results.
I was lucky enough to have been able to buy Revit in 2013. I know that can't be done now, so if I had to do it all over today, I would probably go with Chief. Especially seeing the things ScipioAfricanus can do!
The Following User Says Thank You to GLKIRK1 For This Useful Post:
wallmaxx (11-30-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/General Contracting
Rewards Points: 197

When I first switched from Autocad 2000 to Chief it was the most frustrating thing I had ever done! But that is because I was still trying to draft like I had in Autocad. It took me about a month to get the hang of Chief, but once I did I couldn’t believe how fast I could put a set of plans together and have some amazing 3D models to work with! Same goes with Revit, however I did go from Chief to Revit, so the transition was easier since I had already wrapped my mind around Modeling. I love both Chief and Revit, but from a drafting standpoint I have chosen Revit as my main program for producing CD's, and Chief for 3D renderings and Kitchen designs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cnrhodes For This Useful Post:
wallmaxx (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 03:45 AM   #10
CAD Services

I guess I need to knuckle down and figure Chief out.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #11

Trade: Residential design/build
Rewards Points: 46

I fought with Envisioneer for a lot of years before I decided to go with Autodesk and take a course at a local Community College.
I needed to understand the basics like levels, and detailing in CDs.
Even the cut/extend is so much different in Revit and it took me a whole afternoon to understand it.
I realize there aren't many courses available for CA, too bad you can't find someone to teach you via something like GoToMeeting.
I really do think a person needs to understand the basics of modeling programs first.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #12
CAD Services

I get the modeling part. What I need is a good run through on proper settings configurations and customizing the layouts. And globally deleting the Chief font (replacing it with Arial). I guess I will spend the next few days working on a template and searching YouTube.

Thanks for the motivation.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,780

There are some great videos at ChiefTutor.net also.

Andy.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
greg24k (12-02-2016)