Application Cutlist WIP - Drafting & CAD Forum - Contractor Talk

Application Cutlist WIP

Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Application Cutlist WIP

This last winter I started messing around with a program called Inventor. It is from the same company that puts out AutoCAD and Revit. I have always been fascinated by this program and it has some serious potential, but at the same time some serious lacking in certain areas that I need.

I was inspired by one person who has done exactly what I thought the program could do. He was a few years into it and really making some serious progress with it, so I figured, why not jump in? Of course he didn't tell me he scrapped the project

He said if I waited, there is something coming that is much better. An add on to the program or something...don't know, so I suspended what I was doing, but I thought that I was on the cusp of a breakthrough. I really had a thorough grasp of most of the program.

The issue I found was that it was incredibly clunky slow and not very fluid. Alot of "File, Insert, rotate, place, etc." but once done, it could really be manipulated and modified while updating everything throughout. Changes to the design is what kills anyone's time on design. This was supposed to ease it.

Granted there's programs out there that already have done this. CV, eCab, etc. but I am still tied to outside consultants who use autodesk products and it makes it easy for them as it makes it easy for me, so I'm a glutton for punishment on this stuff. I never take the easy way, but in the end, it makes it easy for me.

What I did was essentially programming the program. It is a mechanical engineering program. Some things I can program in is warnings on collisions in the models. A door opening into the dw for example, or drawer hitting the knob on the adjacent run. Plus it has cnc capabilities too. Long run, this is cheaper than CV. Course eCabs is free

So, after taking a chunk out of my life, I can get accurate, automatic cutlists with all pertinent information. I don't even have to press a button, it's already there. I just hit print.

Here's an example in PDF

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kent Whitten For This Useful Post:
J F (07-09-2012), wallmaxx (07-07-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

Re: Application Cutlist WIP

That's awesome.

Whenever I do anything I seek details.............and them's some details

Thanks Kent for living on the bleeding edge of CAD tech.
(I'm trying AC 2013 for mac - seems pretty sweet...for the next 20 days at least)

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Kitchen and bath design+remodel
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Whitten View Post
This last winter I started messing around with a program called Inventor. It is from the same company that puts out AutoCAD and Revit. I have always been fascinated by this program and it has some serious potential, but at the same time some serious lacking in certain areas that I need.

I was inspired by one person who has done exactly what I thought the program could do. He was a few years into it and really making some serious progress with it, so I figured, why not jump in? Of course he didn't tell me he scrapped the project

He said if I waited, there is something coming that is much better. An add on to the program or something...don't know, so I suspended what I was doing, but I thought that I was on the cusp of a breakthrough. I really had a thorough grasp of most of the program.

The issue I found was that it was incredibly clunky slow and not very fluid. Alot of "File, Insert, rotate, place, etc." but once done, it could really be manipulated and modified while updating everything throughout. Changes to the design is what kills anyone's time on design. This was supposed to ease it.

Granted there's programs out there that already have done this. CV, eCab, etc. but I am still tied to outside consultants who use autodesk products and it makes it easy for them as it makes it easy for me, so I'm a glutton for punishment on this stuff. I never take the easy way, but in the end, it makes it easy for me.

What I did was essentially programming the program. It is a mechanical engineering program. Some things I can program in is warnings on collisions in the models. A door opening into the dw for example, or drawer hitting the knob on the adjacent run. Plus it has cnc capabilities too. Long run, this is cheaper than CV. Course eCabs is free

So, after taking a chunk out of my life, I can get accurate, automatic cutlists with all pertinent information. I don't even have to press a button, it's already there. I just hit print.

Here's an example in PDF

Is this the guy? http://opendesignproject.org/
I have been following this as well really cool stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 36,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Whitten View Post

Here's an example in PDF

mm and inches in the same document... interesting...
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Still have all my fingers

Can you combine the data from different entities and then filter the "batch" data?

In other words can you combine cutlists from different cabinets and then sort the info into say a face frame cutlist for all the cabinets?
http://maplegrovecabinets.com
Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconley View Post
Is this the guy? http://opendesignproject.org/
I have been following this as well really cool stuff.
Yep, that's the guy. I've talked with him quite a bit through email and he finally said "I don't have enough time to answer everyone's emails"

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

The Following User Says Thank You to Kent Whitten For This Useful Post:
bconley (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergstrom View Post
Can you combine the data from different entities and then filter the "batch" data?

In other words can you combine cutlists from different cabinets and then sort the info into say a face frame cutlist for all the cabinets?
Yes, you can. It is a manual click or two and it is done.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergstrom View Post

To make things probably confusing, Inventor has a few different screen configurations. The easiest one is a "part", which is what I have listed above in the pdf. The actual cabinet is "built" in a part file.

Once you have all of your cabinets built, you bring them all into an assembly file. This is where you can filter out anything you like. You can combine all of the FF pieces into one cutlist, and separately all of your sheet goods. At this stage I found it really clunky and slow. It can give you some seriously customized items, but it comes at a cost, which is your time....it bummed me out after all of the time I put into it.

One thing I like about a product like Inventor is that you can customize the crap out of things. It was originally intended for mechanical design. I can make cabinets, or machinery, or an Android phone. The breadth of what it can do is endless.

One thing I don't like is that it can be too manual, too cumbersome. Every release seems to be getting better and better though. I can take my files that I have customized with materials already applied and import them into a rendering program and presto, instant render.

This is a very crude example of a cabinet brought into a new(ish) Autodesk program called Showcase. It is a processor based program, so the computer really locks down. You need some serious hardware.

Let me know if you can't see the pic. It's in a limited viewing area on my photo site

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
mm and inches in the same document... interesting...
That is just particularly the thickness of the sheet goods. It is programmed in that way. I can make it inches if I wanted, but when I order sheet goods, I order 12mm A1 Cherry ....or whatever. The ability to do that though is pretty awesome IMO.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

The Following User Says Thank You to Kent Whitten For This Useful Post:
KAP (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Kitchen and bath design+remodel

Kent,
Have you tried exporting the inventor files (SAT) into Revit?
If so how well does it work?
Thanks

Advertisement