Pole Barn Insulation/Interior Finish Plan - Insulation - Contractor Talk

Pole Barn Insulation/Interior Finish Plan

Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Trade: electrical contractor
Rewards Points: 6

Pole Barn Insulation/Interior Finish Plan

I am an electrical contractor in Chicago and am currently building a shop in South Haven Michigan. This is my first post here but I plan on paying back the community with some help in the electrical section! Thanks in advance for taking time to read my post. Post is kind of long but hopefully it helps me get some professional feedback.

So just looking for someone to critique my insulation/paneling plan for my pole building. Cost is not really an issue just want it done right and look decent. Only thing I don't like is spray foam insulation. Few pictures attached.

Location is South Haven Michigan
Pole Building is 48x56x14 with 7 windows, 1 man door, 2 garage doors
5" concrete floor
Truss ceiling 24" OC
shingle roof with ridge vent
My plan is to create a small living area in 1/3 of the space and use remaining 2/3 as a finished year round shop.
12" overhangs all around building
vented metal soffit fastened directly to bottom of truss (no osb backer)

So for doing my finished ceiling I would like to use white interior metal liner paneling although my heart is not set on it. My plan was to install faced R11 between ceiling joists, then install metal liner for a finished ceiling and blow in some fiberglass on top of the R11. I would also install roof baffles at soffits for venting. Then I thought why don't I just install plastic sheeting right over joists, install metal ceiling panels then do blow in insulation in attic and just skip the faced batt insulation. Any issues with either installation method? Does metal cause any issues besides noise? Does the metal ceiling liner act as a vapor barrier there for creating 2 vapor barriers? Any recommendations to go another route, primed osb, wood paneling?

For the walls I installed 1"Rmax Thermasheath (double foil faced insulation board) directly to the 2x4 purlins on outside. Then installed the exterior grade metal siding. The form board seams and windows are taped with vapor barrier tape. I am going to frame out the interior walls with 2x4's laid flat across the 6x6 posts which would leave me with a 7" cavity. I was leaning towards interior metal liner in the shop area and possibly some tounge and groove knotty pine in the living area but don't really have my mind made up either way. I could just do all walls in metal liner. Don't like the look of primed osb but maybe i could do that for shop area to save few dollars. So i would install faced R22 batt insulation then cover with either metal or wood paneling for a finished wall. Any issues with using metal siding? Again does metal siding act as a vapor barrier? would some rigid foam be better? do i have to make sure i completely fill that 7" cavity to avoid air gaps? Or should i install a R30 and pack it in? Do i have to worry about any air transfer/moisture movement from wall to ceiling? any issues if i insulate the building but don't get to heating it right away?
Attached Thumbnails
Pole Barn Insulation/Interior finish Plan-img_0176.jpg   Pole Barn Insulation/Interior finish Plan-img_0307.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 114

Re: Pole Barn Insulation/Interior Finish Plan

Wow... umm day late & dollar short on getting advice. I can easily say the living portion wont meet codes. Let me start you here - http://thehtrc.com/2011/what-is-a-hot-roof

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the article Sean. Article talked about conditioning the attic space and I thought my approach was for a closed off attic space like all the homes around here are built?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 972

Sounds like a pretty good plan.
A heavy layer of blown in insulation right on top of the ceiling liner panel will work just fine by itself. No need for the fiberglass. My pole bldg doesn't have side overhangs so no need for soffit vents or baffles, just installed gable end and ridge vents to vent attic space.

For my walls, I ran inside face of 2x4's flush with inside face of poles ( a little harder to frame), then stuffed the cavity with 6" fiberglass.

The metal ceiling and walls will make the place a little noisy, but its the best option for a shop in my opinion; fire resistant, reflects light well, water resistant, and cleans easily.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 864

Why don't you like the spray foam option? We spray foamed our 4000 sq ft pole barn shop & put 18" of bow in insulation in the attic. You can nearly heat that thing with a candle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
arm2004 (09-07-2017), ScipioAfricanus (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #6

So I read Sean's article and called the manufacture of the Rmax Thermasheath-3 that I am installing on the outside of the building. Sounds like what Sean and also Rmax is talking about is a new set of ideas and energy codes on insulating homes. The problem I am having until now is that I cant find any contractors or even my building inspector that has any idea on what to do....

So how about for the outside walls I use the 1" Thermasheath-3 then seal all the seams using tape and washer caps on the screws. This will provide an exterior insulated vapor barrier. Then install exterior metal siding. How do I keep that exterior vapor barrier in together if I am driving screws from the metal siding through it? On the inside I could spray in closed cell foam or fiberglass insulation. I would then install a suitable thermal barrier sheeting possibly metal liner or some other type of wall paneling. Is that a proper solution for the walls? Or should I skip sealing the outside Thermasheath to create a vapor barrier and install vapor barrier on warm side of building?

Advertisement