Moisture Measurements Before Spray Foam Important Question? - Insulation - Contractor Talk

Moisture Measurements Before Spray Foam Important Question?

Old 03-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General construction
Rewards Points: 192

Moisture Measurements Before Spray Foam Important Question?

What should I have for a moisture reading for the best results using open cell spay foam to the underside of the plywood and rafters using a moisture meter?
Also I'm getting quotes from sf contractors that seem to range from $.85 to $1.50. The amount of area is very large so cost it adds up when you have large sq. footages.
Can a spray foam mix be tweaked to cheat and that's how price goes down and up for quality?
And how about a contract? Some say they need no contract but what if it fails or begins to off gas a dead fish smell as talked about in another spray foam post to the point where it never goes away and has to be removed and replaced.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 110

Re: Moisture Measurements Before Spray Foam Important Question?

Moisture - most manufacturers have an allowable range, but the drier the better especially in hot roof situations. I am not sure your location, but for many areas Closed Cell is really the only way to go

Cheat the recipe - no or you will have issues (i.e. fish smell, not fully cured foam - foam with major voids). Questions to ask is will they be using a blower door to ensure they sealed up everything / how are they doing QA? Guaranteed thickness? For the lower cost ones, just whose product are you using / how long has it been sitting

Some places require a contract while others will say the quote is all that is needed - depending on the company I have gone both ways. Decent well established company with a great reputation, the quote will be fine.

Advertisement