Insulation Removal - Insulation - Contractor Talk

Insulation Removal

Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #1

Trade: Insulation
Rewards Points: 75

Insulation Removal

Has anyone here developed a good system for removing insulation? I've tried a number of different set ups but I have yet to be 100% satisfied, so before I invest in any new equipment I'd like to know what other people are using.

At the moment I'm using a 15hp Heat and Seal vacuum, and I've been having suction problems when I run into material contaminated with cedar shakes. I'd also like to find a way around using the expensive proprietary bags I buy through heat and seal. In the past I've used a 50hp machine, blown it into a dumpster, and sucked it into bags with a dust collector. That set up worked well, but the dust collector was a major weak point.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 12

Re: Insulation Removal

I would like to learn something about this too! Especially for old cellulose in attics. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Got Foam?

Trade: Spray Foam Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

I don't have one of these myself, but I have wondered about using a leaf collection system with a gas powered engine. obviously you would leave it outside! I think they have like a 6" hose on them for suction, and then I have heard of guys getting long rolls of a breathable material and making their own bags, however long you want them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to koolfoam For This Useful Post:
boehsconst2 (04-22-2010), MonsieurBon (02-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 03:38 AM   #4

Leaf vacuums are excellent for removals; the extra power and durability makes a huge difference if your removing vermiculite, batts, or anything that has shakes mixed in.

Buying breathable material and making bags is a great idea, I never thought of that before. Do you know how they seal the seams?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Got Foam?

Trade: Spray Foam Contractor

I'm not sure..... I wonder if 3M Super 77 spray glue would do it?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #6

Trade: Insulation Contractor

We use the netting/fabric material and just staple the ends to make a 'custom' bag. I can't figure out why these insulation removal vacuums are so expensive.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #7

My bags need to be sealed in 6mm poly before I dump them, which is why I really want a system that will blow material straight into garbage bags. Until I find a system capable of that, I will just blow it into a dumpster, and have helpers bag it with shovels.

Removal machines are pricey, but once the machine is paid for removals are extremely profitable for me. I'd love to do enough removals to justify buying one of these.
http://www.vacnsack.com/models.html
Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #8

I found the insulation vacuum bags or insulation removal bags on the web for $14.50/bag. I like them a lot because they are a lot more durable than the other ones on the market. I buy 100 every month so it saves me a ton of money. Check them out, www.insulationvacuumbags.com

Last edited by collin51; 07-03-2012 at 09:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to collin51 For This Useful Post:
CO2Solutions (05-03-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #9

Trade: Repairs

I run into the same problem. We currently rent our vac from united rentals. We remove insulation when it's loaded with animal crap. We buy the bags from lowes. I've never bought a vac because I feel we really beat them up with the animal droppings and insulation batts.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

I am not an insulation contractor but I recently sucked out a ton of insulation from an old farm house I bought to remodel.

I borrowed a machine from an insulation contractor friend. It was a simple machine with a beast of a motor on it. I believe I was using a 5" inch hose to suck. Then there was about a 5' hose that went into the bag.

Here is the secret. He had the same problem with expensive bags that would end up ripping easily. Then he saw some big corn seed bags and thought about giving them a try.

The seed bag is the secret. They are huge bags. You can get a ton of insulation in before you have to change them. When they are full it takes two men to move them. But they are super durable and you don't have the added cost. The bags have a small opening on each end. I can't describe it well but the hole is about 8" wide and then there is like a funnel that comes out of that. It is real easy to just duct tape that shut then duct tape the funnel over you hose and you're golden.

I had a big excator in digging about a 20 ft hole to throw my trash/foundation in. He was able to pick up these bags with the thumb on his bucket and drop them in the hole without even being close to ripping. Trust me, if you're doing a bunch of this stuff look into these seed bags. I think you may even be able to get them for free because they dont want to have to clean the insides to put new corn in.

This system could handle small pieces of lath and plaster well. I don't know how it would compare to a leaf sucker.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #11

Trade: Insulation & Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor8 View Post
Has anyone here developed a good system for removing insulation? I've tried a number of different set ups but I have yet to be 100% satisfied, so before I invest in any new equipment I'd like to know what other people are using.

At the moment I'm using a 15hp Heat and Seal vacuum, and I've been having suction problems when I run into material contaminated with cedar shakes. I'd also like to find a way around using the expensive proprietary bags I buy through heat and seal. In the past I've used a 50hp machine, blown it into a dumpster, and sucked it into bags with a dust collector. That set up worked well, but the dust collector was a major weak point.
It will be on you tube shortly(by tomorrow) search insulation removal bags.
Much better than the ones you have probably used check it out. There also on ebay being sold under raven industries. Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
windowsonwashington.net

Trade: Exterior Construction
Rewards Points: 1,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Here is the secret. He had the same problem with expensive bags that would end up ripping easily. Then he saw some big corn seed bags and thought about giving them a try.

The seed bag is the secret. They are huge bags. You can get a ton of insulation in before you have to change them. When they are full it takes two men to move them. But they are super durable and you don't have the added cost. The bags have a small opening on each end. I can't describe it well but the hole is about 8" wide and then there is like a funnel that comes out of that. It is real easy to just duct tape that shut then duct tape the funnel over you hose and you're golden.

This system could handle small pieces of lath and plaster well. I don't know how it would compare to a leaf sucker.
That is a nice find on the seed bags. I will have to see if I can find those here.

Those things are usually much more beefy than leaf vacs.

We have sucked in chunks of wood with them and spit nails right through the discharge hose and into the side of the trailer with them.

Look out...

Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #13

Trade: Insulation & Drywall

In case any one is interested in a good solution virtually dust free and reusable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJknjHRZBuE
Old 01-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #14

Trade: Insulation Removal
Rewards Points: 6

I know this is an older thread but there are a few tricks to insulation removal what will save you a ton of time! If you connect a 4-5' piece of removal hose to your machine and then attach the bag to the hose, the bag will fill more evenly and you can fill the removal bag from the bottom of the bag and work the hose out as the bag fills.

There is a great bag on the market that also works for batt removal and other debris. The wide opening of the bag allows for you to stable the removal bag to the attic entrance and use it as a trash chute which has saved us a ton of time and keeps the home much cleaner. It is the strongest bag we have used, I have tried using a ton of bags out there and they are all the same, but the tough bag is by far the strongest and will never rip.

One person can drag the bag from the drive way to the trailer without any signs of damage. They also hold more old insulation than the 4x6 bags. Here is a link if you are interested. Insulation Removal Bags

https://insulationvacbags.com/files/...emoval-bag.jpg

Advertisement