Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What to bring to a Estimate/Presentation

9K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  JohnDavis 
#1 ·
In an effort to get more organized, efficient, effective, and successful I have been developing some systems to follow. For some reason, I am VERY good at landing jobs. Of all the jobs I have estimated, I have landed about 90% (ok, now you can tell me to raise my prices...).

Anyway, I feel that my "presentation package" is lacking just a little. Actually it consists of walking through the space with the client, and just talking... So, I have decided to change that method with the following:

What to Bring to a Estimate/Presentation

References / Testimonials Page
Photo Book
What to expect / policy page
Color Chips /Fan from BM / SW
Sell Sheets from BM / SW

If you guys wouldn't mind sharing, what do you do during your estimate or presentation?
What materials do you bring to show or for leave-behind?
Is there any particular "trick" that seems to really work well for you?
If you are a "seller" what is it that you are selling?

Thanks so much for your responses!
I really respect and value your opinions!

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I close about the same rate, I do so by pointing out things that normal yearlings miss and including them.. as well as... well, calling back. I've been told numerous times that I was the only one that actually CALLED back, to set up an appointment. I do take references, photo books and history as a package... I always have color chips from several different brands on hand but they stay with me. I leave behind a the references, photos and history and normally come back with a contract and a detailed scope of work.

"trick"? Catching the details others miss.

#3 · (Edited)
I do take references, photo books and history as a package...
So by history, would that be like your company history, or like the last ten jobs you did? I'm not sure what you mean by history. Please forgive my ignorance.

EDIT----

Oh, I meant to also ask everyone if any of you have ever sent your estimate via email. I get a lot work from my local town website (MaplewoodOnline), and also a big fan of mine is always talking me up on some mothers networking website (no idea what it is called...).

They email me about some work, and I go look, and talk to them about it (bear in mind that I started out here as a handyman, and have been going back to my painting roots over the past few months...). Now sometimes I know right off the bat what I am charging for the work, and sometimes I need to do some math, and kind of map it out in my head first to make sure I don't mess up the time it will take (that's where I make most of my mistakes). Then I email the estimate to them!

I have gotten so used to the idea of emailing it that I now sometimes ask if I can email it to them if my initial contact wasn't internet.

What do you think of this? Ok? Stupid? Good if it works for you?

#6 · (Edited)
Show up on time!!! I usually bring my laser tape. I have fandecks in the van, if need be. I have information on all the paints I use which include...SW, BM, and ZIN, if need be. I bring pictures of past jobs, and show them anything relevant to what their gettting done. I bring a notebook and pad and basically tell them(to get them out of my hair for a bit)"I'll be here a while"...and I measure away and take my notes of what I'll need. I tell them, give me a week and I'll get my proposal to you.

After I make them feel comfortable, I head out. I always type up a written estimate from software I purchased. The states around me are changing the laws to make it that you have to provide written.

I've landed 99% of my jobs. Only lost 1, but it was kind of on purpose....It was a bigger lead job, with lots of prep and I just didnt want it that bad.

Alot of the work I get is through word of mouth or references, so showing them a 'testimonial' or 'what to expect' is not important, they know I'm good already.;)

I dont know how some of you stay up so late in here! I need 8 hours.

#7 ·
I have a very nice folder with information of my company, customer education material, business card, estimate form (write by hand) and warranties.

I never leave any color chip unless I close the deal. I carry a humidity meter and used in front of the clients. They always said WOW.

By next year I will use a tablet pc with a laser tape with Bluetooth wireless technology and credit card on site.

Sound expensive but not. Cost me like $5.00 per client only plus gadgets.

Art

#12 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

Honestly, I am not sure what I am doing to close so successfully.

I have noticed that the longer the time I spend talking with the client, the better the chance. My guess is that I am simply building trust and putting them at ease. As I walk from room to room, I am pointing out things like "for this closet, should I do it in the room color, or would you prefer a bright white so you can see better?" I also explain that a ceiling white in a custom color room will make it easier to read in bed with the overhead light as opposed to painting the ceiling the wall color.

For a kitchen or bath I will point out that since they are wet rooms, they can sometimes breed mold, and I would be happy to use a mold inhibitor, and wash the walls down with bleach solution if they like. I also teach them that the little crossbars in windows are called muntins, and on some windows they are sandwiched between glass, and others get painted.

Many of my clients have commented that I really go into detail that noone else has mentioned and that some estimates they have gotten, the guy didn't even measure (I also use a laser tape, and they are always impressed with it).

I also explain that when the job starts, they will have direct access to me via my cell phone at any time for questions or concerns, and that I will be on the jobsite every day until the job is completed.

I also talk to them off-topic a bit. I compliment features of the house, or ask them how they like their model of car, ask about their breed of dog, or something innocuous like that. Then I share a little about me. It has to be a naturally flowing conversation, though, never forced or fake. If they go on for a while I pay close attention, and let them know I am paying attention by asking questions.

My wife says I am using sales techniques, but I don't know what they are (she is always reading about management, and business, and that sort of thing...) she thinks I am a natural. When I am talking to them sometimes, I see myself interviewing them as if I was a laid back reporter, and had to write an article about them when I am done.

I have no idea why it works...

#14 ·
Terrence, that stuff is definitely working. I close about 90% as well (on the jobs I want) and do the same things as you. I'm kinda young, so I have to really sell myself as I am now and not on my lifetime of painting. Talking to a potential customer like you're their friend instead of a contractor will go a long way. Make sure to SMILE all of the time. You're happy to help them with their project right?

I normally take a tape measure, color fan, notebook, pen, sell sheets, and calculator. My biggest problem is carrying everything. Sure I can carry it in two hands, but when it comes to measuring, writing and shaking hands, I have a situation especially since I won't set anything down on their furniture. I was looking at maybe a clip board that had a large compartment for me to hold the stuff, but I can't find one big enough.

#13 ·
bcf:

I like to bring up the owner-operator doing the work, not just some guy trying to make a paycheck. Lot;s of people say how much that means to them, and I'd say at least 5% of my previous customers were sold on this fact, even though they told me I cost more.
Yeah, I have noticed that people ask (about 70% of the time) if I will be doing the work. I tell them I will be doing it, but that I have helpers too, but I'm always onsite to supervise.

I agree that seems to be VERY important.

#15 ·
You got to sell yourself. never give an estimate unless the person who is going to sign is present. If they ask you to walk around the house and stick the estimate in the mailbox then you better be prepared to have the lowball estimate.

I don't like working for peanuts so to sell my jobs I have to be there. Look professional, have professional looking truck , paperwork and a embroidered shirt. If you show up wearing your dirty painter whites and a led zeppelin t-shirt driving your beater with no signage and writing your estimate on a generic office depot contract you might as well have put the lowball estimate in their mailbox while they were at work.

#16 ·
If you show up wearing your dirty painter whites and a led zeppelin t-shirt driving your beater with no signage
HAHA, too funny. About 2 weeks ago I saw a guy leaving my neighbor's house dressed exactly like that. He even had the led zeppelin shirt on. Of course I went right over, found out what they needed done, and got the job. I see more and more painters that show up like this though. A baseball player doesn't show up in his uniform to sign his contract does he?

#17 ·
Exactly Terr... it's not rocket science, it's sales. As the owner of a business you are NO LONGER A WORKER. Your a salesman. End of story. I keep saying, catch the things others miss, sure win.. as you see, it works. ;)

#18 ·
Flawless, get yourself a nice bag to carry/organize all of your stuff. As a painter, I would have one of the promotional ones from SW/BM/Porter/etc. I have collected a bunch of them from different manufacturers over the years and they make a good first impression.

A laptop with slide shows helps a lot too. My son can fade a 'before' pic into an 'after' pic without fading out completely inbetween and this is usually good for some ooohhh's & aaaahhh's. Just make sure that you have a good anchorpoint for the camera and a focal point for the frame.

#21 ·
Teetor, what size are the bags you're suggesting? Is it like a gym bag size? I don't really won't to look like I'm planning on staying the night.

That's a good idea with the fading. I plan to get a laptop pretty soon and that would be nice to do. I would probably let it run while I did measuring so I could make the most of my time.

#19 ·
Led zepp rules............

I'm an owner operater..doing almost all my own painting..and I always show up in paint clothes...I work so much, that I don't have time to change..and I land almost all the jobs.... mostly cuz they are referals.

I give a verbal quote at the 1st meeting and usually I land it right there.
Then I show up on the 1st day of work w/ typed contract & get 1st check.

I always have my portfolio of pics (full page photo's) with me to show,
On interior jobs I bring a folder I made explaining color confidence and suggestions on flow and perception I even have a little sheet I show them
on how color is affected by other colors here... I'll post it for everyone
http://www.contractortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3043&stc=1&d=1159481434
checkershadow.jpg
A & B ...are the exact same shade/ color!
just print out 2 of these... then cut out a & b on one.... trace cuttouts onto blank peice of paper and tell them... that a & b are the exact same color...they wont believe you...... then slide the blank sheet over with only the cutouts showing a & b..against a white backround. use the thickest paper possible.

Attachments

#20 ·
Led zepp rules............

I'm an owner operater..doing almost all my own painting..and I always show up in paint clothes...I work so much, that I don't have time to change..and I land almost all the jobs.... mostly cuz they are referals.

I give a verbal quote at the 1st meeting and usually I land it right there.
Then I show up on the 1st day of work w/ typed contract & get 1st check.

I always have my portfolio of pics (full page photo's) with me to show,
On interior jobs I bring a folder I made explaining color confidence and suggestions on flow and perception I even have a little sheet I show them
on how color is affected by other colors here... I'll post it for everyone
http://www.contractortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3043&stc=1&d=1159481434
checkershadow.jpg
A & B ...are the exact same shade/ color!
just print out 2 of these... then cut out a & b on one.... trace cuttouts onto blank peice of paper and tell them... that a & b are the exact same color...they wont believe you...... then slide the blank sheet over with only the cutouts showing a & b..against a white backround. use the thickest paper possible.
:eek:

#22 ·
You need one large enough to carry all of your stuff without it hanging out all over the place. My wife uses a beach bag but she only sells a few products that are related plus people aren't turned of by a woman carrying a flowery bag.

Everybody makes one. Mine are from BM, Hunter Douglas, Bay Shutters, Timberline, Norman Ind's., on and on. The standard bag is rectangular, long enough to fit in a legal size clipboard (also laptop), about 6" wide, usually has a flap to keep rain and gunk from getting in. Think an oversized briefcase that opens at the top.

In your case, I'm going for a paint job. Into the bag goes a clipboard with legal pad turned to a fresh page with the customers name and phone# at the top. Laptop loaded with a BM program, digital camera, tape, color deck, extra mechanical pencils, two decent looking pens (black ink). All batteries are charged, cel phone in the truck and I'm concentrating on only one thing. The Job!

Do the meet & greet, set up your temp 'office' somewhere, go through your presentation, snap some pics/download to BM software and you're good to go on what their room could look like. Keep the patter/interface going and keep notes on the second page of your clipboard when they aren't looking. You can also fill this in when your measuring on the front page. Get every detail. Dogs name (can be VERY important later), kids names, sports, hobbies, times&dates. Jot everything down.

I'm still missing a printer in the truck but I can produce a contract on the computer to see if we are in agreement. If so, I go to the office and fax or hand deliver a contract ASAP.

When the work starts, the second page builds bonds. Hey, Ralphie (the dog), Hi Bob (the HO), How was your game at ......last week? Did Jimmie win his softball game? How's Gladis' (mother-in-law's) gall bladder doing? Is Bonnie (wife) back from Providence yet?

It's all part of the 'game'. Get good at it and the world is your oyster.

#23 ·
Flawless Finish
I think you're going to be a big success!

SgtBaldy,
Does this mean you set aside a special day of the week for estimates? I get people who are very impatient (or so it seems) for an estimate, and I don't want to lose their business by telling I can only see them on my estimate day (which is why I don't have one). Is that a mistake in your opinion?

Teetorbilt
A laptop with slide shows helps a lot too. My son can fade a 'before' pic into an 'after' pic without fading out completely inbetween and this is usually good for some ooohhh's & aaaahhh's.
Oh great idea! I can do that in iPhoto (I'm a mac person). That will be easy! Thanks for that awesome tip, can't wait to give it a shot!

KellyPainting
Whoah! I think I understand what you are saying, but how do you use that idea with the client? Does it help them select colors that are good together? (Or did I miss the point altogether?)

Teetorbilt
I'm still missing a printer in the truck
You really have a polished system going, seems a shame not to have a truck printer. I didn't even know they made DC powered ones.

#25 ·
Terrance..print it ..it is soooo cool... it shows the importance of selecting colors against a white peice of paper..while selecting with other samples can throw you off extremely...and yes it also shows dramaticaly the effects and influences other colors in a room affect the ones you are chooseing.

#26 ·
Website

I get a lot of leads from my website. I follow up on leads that meet the criteria I set for new leads. As a result, by the time I have a face to face with the client for an estimate/proposal - they are almost always closed and work is began with 30 days. For those outside the 30 days I have a follow up log.

Like you, I do close about 90% of business. Craigs List which still to this date sends a lot of inquiries are just cheap shoppers. I do not get a lot of business from that board, but from those I have taken, I have gotton a lot of repeat business and referrals.

I still think a professionally designed website is the best tool to showcase your work!

#28 ·
I just wanted to barge in and say, this is a great thread, even though it was dredged up from the past.

Very Informative! :thumbsup:

Ed

#29 · (Edited)
my dad used to pretend to take his thumb off, but it was actually attached, bent, and sliding on his other finger. I still shock potential customers, but it does prove a point..................... Im just not sure what that is yet................ just kidding........ hey, if it lands a job, its an addition to your portfolio of "Skills to Pay The Bills"

#32 ·
well Terrence, being a sales professional, i am also using the same tactics when i need to meet with my clients at physical places but its vary about the worth of customers according to sales volumes, if he or she very potential for our company then i always going for meeting very formal way likes appointment, references, packages details, price list, some important documents in folder printing, printed diary as gift.

Formalities very important to sell products to customers. Because before selling the products it’s very important to understand the nature of buyer's attitude and organizational culture. If sales person can understand the buyer’s attitude it will be easier to sell products in organizations and I am sure it will create long term relationships with customers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.