Wall Papered Brick Wall Repaint - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Wall Papered Brick Wall Repaint

Old 12-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,358

Wall Papered Brick Wall Repaint

Ok, this apartment has been occupied for about 15-20 years. It's in pretty sad shape. My question is this. There is an exterior wall that is masonry, it has several layers of wall paper on it in various states of peeling, rotting and/or molding. It appears that most of the mold was behind bookcases and the like rather than a moisture problem with the whole wall. After I steam off all the paper should I skim coat it with mud, try and apply sheetrock to it, or just heavily texture and paint the masonry. I was thinking strip, mud, sand, prime and paint. Any thoughts on this? Anyone used Kilz 2 after tsp to deal with grease stains or should I go oil? I just bought a new graco pump and I would like to keep it strictly latex, like my women.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
A bit abrasive.

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Wall Papered Brick Wall Repaint

Most people pay me good money for that look actually...

Seriously though I would recommend removal of all loose substrate, ProBlock alkyd primer sprayed on the brick with a 517 tip (proper cleaning of your pump will not affect later latex usage), metal studs, 1/2" drywall, PVA latex primer, and finish with a latex topcoat.

Or:

Remove all loose substrate, spray the brick with ProBlock alkyd primer using a 517 tip, skim coat with green top all purpose joint compound (maybe 3 skim coats then texture if you want), roll on (3/4 nap) ProBlock alkyd primer to seal the mud, finish with a latex top coat.

Advertisement