Vendors For Oil Base. - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Vendors For Oil Base.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Vendors For Oil Base.

I've only ever painted with oil base. Was raised up on it, believe in it for durability, and find it good to work with generally.

Went to SW today to get a few gallons, and was summarily told, "They don't make oil base anymore". Okay, fine... I say, "Alkyd, or whatever you call it now...". Don't make that anymore, so I'm told.

What's the deal? I know it wasn't that long ago I painted the whole inside of my home with Duron Alkyd.

Who still makes oil base paint? I will not even entertain any latex alternatives until the last can of oil base rolls of some assembly line...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,138

Re: Vendors For Oil Base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
I've only ever painted with oil base. Was raised up on it, believe in it for durability, and find it good to work with generally.

Went to SW today to get a few gallons, and was summarily told, "They don't make oil base anymore". Okay, fine... I say, "Alkyd, or whatever you call it now...". Don't make that anymore, so I'm told.

What's the deal? I know it wasn't that long ago I painted the whole inside of my home with Duron Alkyd.

Who still makes oil base paint? I will not even entertain any latex alternatives until the last can of oil base rolls of some assembly line...
Today's Acrylics are way superior than most oils.

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

oil based paint for what exactly? you can still get calcimine recoater ( a dead flat oil for insides...depends on what you want it for.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"

Trade: Paint Contractor www.brabhams.net
Rewards Points: 500

Sherwin Williams still make SWP oil base for exterior, and Pro Classic Oil for interior, I buy it all the time.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Went to SW today to get a few gallons, and was summarily told, "They don't make oil base anymore"...
That's a load of crap
SWP mgrs. employees and reps suffer tremendously from the "you can say that" syndrome

That is, the brass tells the rep that tells the mgr. that tells the employee that if someone asks why they don't carry that something that they used to "you can say that...." we got complaints/they were failing/the company stopped making them/they are illegal
It's a load of crap

Usually the answer is "we can get the chinese ones cheaper and still charge you more" but that doesn't really sound good to a customer

But see, it's "not lying" if the employee "heard" it from the higher ups
They feel they are technically not telling the employees to lie if they say "If a customer asks, you can say that....(insert lie here)"

Anyway, there are places that have outlawed oil-based paints
I doubt yours is one
Check another store or two
Or find the regional regs on oils

Meanwhile, I'll check the map and see if your anywhere on my vaca routes
If you are, and oils really are verboten in your area, I'll drop off a few cases of whatever you want
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 11-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

I'm pretty sure that California, New York, New Jersey have banned sale of oil based paint, unless you have a special use permit [heavy industrial]. HAve heard rumors of more states to follow...

Advertisement