UV Self Adhesive Masking Product? - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

UV Self Adhesive Masking Product?

Old 11-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #1

Trade: Building/Remodeling/Sawmilling/Blow Stuff Up Somet
Location: In the Deep South, along the West side of Northern Central East Texas
Rewards Points: 75

UV Self Adhesive Masking Product?

I think you painter guys/gals might be my best bet. Does anyone know of a material that is self adhesive and will stick to bare wood, and will also block UV rays?
I'll tell you why maybe it will help with othr ideas. I'm installing some ERC joists that will be exposed in the bedroom. I'm running them through the planer now. Once I get them up, there will be some lag time before I get the decking and roof on. It doesn't take long for the ERC to turn brown when exposed to the sun. Hours only.
I just need to wrap the joists with something in the shop but I have to leave the tops exposed so I can deck over them and not trap anything I use for a UV blocker.
I though about masking tape and brown construction paper but that is too labor intensive and would not stand the rigors of handling etc.
I'm thinking I need some self adhesive something or another but I am unaware of such a product.
Any ideas welcome I am putthing them up this weekend.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #2

Re: UV Self Adhesive Masking Product?

I'm not aware of anything like that. I'm assuming you are not going to seal the ERC when finished.

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 09:57 AM   #3

Trade: Building/Remodeling/Sawmilling/Blow Stuff Up Somet
Location: In the Deep South, along the West side of Northern Central East Texas

Re: UV Self Adhesive Masking Product?

I'm going to shoot it with a clearcoat after the room is dried in, to minimize the effects of oxidation for as long as possible but that's it.