Treating Pump Paint Sprayers. - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Treating Pump Paint Sprayers.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

Treating Pump Paint Sprayers.

If I'm parking the sprayer(s) for more than a few days I use pump protector to treat the unit(s). Problem was always wasted treatment product. I solved the problem by creating a narrow vertical vessel instead of using a bucket.

It's simply a 3" diameter 16" tall piece of PVC pipe glue to a closet flange that has the test cap molded to it.

I have 5 gallons of protector mixed up. I set the pick up into the pipe, filled half way with protector is enough to treat the 395AAA or the Merkur. Both have 25' hose sets on them.

No more wasted mix.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Treating pump paint sprayers.-img_0757.jpg   Treating pump paint sprayers.-img_0758.jpg  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
griz (11-26-2018), hdavis (11-26-2018), Mordekyle (11-25-2018), overanalyze (11-26-2018), pinwheel (11-26-2018), sparehair (11-26-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Treating Pump Paint Sprayers.

One other thing about pump service. Don't forget to check and top off the TSL daily.

Tom

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 236

I really don’t see how the tsl works. It goes in a reservoir that feeds directly to the hose, it doesn’t go through the machine at all. I think it’s a scam by graco to sell more stuff.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
I really don’t see how the tsl works. It goes in a reservoir that feeds directly to the hose, it doesn’t go through the machine at all. I think it’s a scam by graco to sell more stuff.
If you watch how the pump works, the TSL lubricates the connecting rod seal. The lube does not enter the hose.

I have a unit that does not need the lubricant, the pump is a diaphragm type pump.

Tom
Old 11-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,358

I like to put the tsl on threads of gun. It eats the paint and keeps everything easy to screw together. Also on the trigger assembly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
If you watch how the pump works, the TSL lubricates the connecting rod seal. The lube does not enter the hose.

I have a unit that does not need the lubricant, the pump is a diaphragm type pump.

Tom
I meant the prime hose. If you open the prime valve it dump whatever’s in the tsl cup down the prime hose. So I guess if you’re supposed to mix it in the paint during the priming step it does that.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
I meant the prime hose. If you open the prime valve it dump whatever’s in the tsl cup down the prime hose. So I guess if you’re supposed to mix it in the paint during the priming step it does that.
Mine dies not do that. It stays in the cup. Ran a unit today for 8+ hours, TSL is down from the cup rim about 1/8"

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Mine dies not do that. It stays in the cup. Ran a unit today for 8+ hours, TSL is down from the cup rim about 1/8"

Tom
I’ll get a video and TRY to post it.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,810

It's normal when spraying a lot of paint to see some milky looking paint on the piston as it rises and falls, even when using TSL. An excessive amount means the packings are starting to get worn. Not enough to freak out about unless you notice a drop in spray performance. If the packings are in good shape, it's not unusual to only need a little bit of TSL to top it off.

Last edited by Caslon; 11-26-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
Pro

I find it needs a topping off after 35-40 gallons.

Tom
Old 11-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
No more wasted mix.

Tom
If you do that math, a quart of optimally diluted concentrated pump saver costs just $0.40. If you use only a pint in there, that's just $0.20 used. How thrifty.

If you flush your unit enough with just plain water , until it's 80% water (to keep it okay for a few days), that won't hurt your airless. Splash a pint of diluted pump saver concentrate at the end after flushing most of the paint out, and you're fine (for a few days).

With the stainless steel parts and all, it will take more than a few days for corrosion to start. The paint will be diluted so much that there won't be any seating issues either (excluding diaphragm airless pumps maybe).

Last edited by Caslon; 11-26-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
If you do that math, a quart of optimally diluted concentrated pump saver costs just $0.40. If you use only a pint in there, that's just $0.20 used. How thrifty.

If you flush your unit enough with just plain water , until it's 80% water (to keep it okay for a few days), that won't hurt your airless. Splash a pint of diluted pump saver concentrate at the end after flushing most of the paint out, and you're fine (for a few days).

With the stainless steel parts and all, it will take more than a few days for corrosion to start. The paint will be diluted so much that there won't be any seating issues either (excluding diaphragm airless pumps maybe).
I found that in a bucket I ended up putting far more than the pint needed in it. Using the pipe causes the mix to go vertical rather than horizontal.

As I stated, a few days, it gets flushed--twice. I run the material back into the container, about 15 seconds of pithing the product with water, Lock the trigger on, let the water circulate back into the bucket, after a couple of minutes, I swap water buckets, spray into bucket number one for about 30 seconds, drop the gun in bucket number two, let it circulate for a couple of minutes. Unlock the trigger, wipe the gun off, wrap the hose, leave the pickup in the bucket until the next day. I lock the trigger on because there are other better things to do than spray water in a bucket.

More than a few days, it gets pump protector.

Tom
Old 11-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #13
Pro

While I won't contest your method of keeping your airless fresh for a few days, I just don't see why using my method doesn't simplify things. The time to circulate water thru and out of the pump housing takes minutes.

Nevermind. Bravo.

Last edited by Caslon; 11-26-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:15 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
While I won't contest your method of keeping your airless fresh for a few days, I just don't see why using my method doesn't simplify things. The time to circulate water thru the pump housing takes minutes.
Let me type slower so you can comprehend what I've stated from the very first post of this thread.....

I only treat the pump if it will be more than a few days before I get back to using it. I do flush the pump at the end of every day with water.

Today we shot 25 gallons of Kem Aqua+, at the end of the day the units were flushed, tomorrow we need to shoot about 10 more gallons. After that is done, it will be a week to 10 days before they get fired up again. Tomorrow will include treatment.

Tom
Old 11-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
I found that in a bucket I ended up putting far more than the pint needed in it. Using the pipe causes the mix to go vertical rather than horizontal.

As I stated, a few days, it gets flushed--twice. I run the material back into the container, about 15 seconds of pithing the product with water, Lock the trigger on, let the water circulate back into the bucket, after a couple of minutes, I swap water buckets, spray into bucket number one for about 30 seconds, drop the gun in bucket number two, let it circulate for a couple of minutes. Unlock the trigger, wipe the gun off, wrap the hose, leave the pickup in the bucket until the next day. I lock the trigger on because there are other better things to do than spray water in a bucket.

More than a few days, it gets pump protector.

Tom
I dig what you're saying. Working out of a truck with an airless, not having a site to clean up. I have an endless supply of empty 5 gallon buckets to store my clean up water. Heh, lids are a must to keep clean up water from splashing out at a stoplight.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:11 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Let me type slower so you can comprehend what I've stated from the very first post of this thread.....

I only treat the pump if it will be more than a few days before I get back to using it. I do flush the pump at the end of every day with water.

Today we shot 25 gallons of Kem Aqua+, at the end of the day the units were flushed, tomorrow we need to shoot about 10 more gallons. After that is done, it will be a week to 10 days before they get fired up again. Tomorrow will include treatment.

Tom

I like your idea and all, only with a twist. When moving lo-boy airlesses over sometimes rugged terrain, it'd be cool not to have to drag along the 5 gal. paint can too. Your tube would attach itself to the airless siphon rod, and allow enough paint in the tube to keep recirculating fresh paint while moving the airless. The only thing shooting that down is having to pour paint into that little tube from a 5 gallon container.

I once thought I could shut down the sprayer for a few minutes. I was wrong, especially this primer I used way back. I left the sprayer off for 60 seconds and the sprayer froze up, totally gunked up. If only I could have kept a small amount of that primer re-circulating.

Keep a wet edge. Have I not said that all along? Hehe. Whether you brush or spray?

Last edited by Caslon; 11-27-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:31 AM   #17
Pro

Get a couple of these for the 5's. You'll have to cut the threaded part off, once it's gone the spout snaps into the gun hole on a 5 (it's designed to fit thread and snap in). As I said I have a 5 of protecter mixed, pours easily into the pipe.

I have the spout in the top portion when I pour out of a 5 until the 5 is half empty. Once half empty the spout can be in the lower pour position.

A couple of holes and some wire, you could "strap" the pipe to the bucket handle bail on the sprayer.

https://www.etundra.com/restaurant-p...hoCnGoQAvD_BwE

Tom
Old 11-27-2018, 12:49 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Get a couple of these for the 5's. You'll have to cut the threaded part off, once it's gone the spout snaps into the gun hole on a 5 (it's designed to fit thread and snap in). As I said I have a 5 of protecter mixed, pours easily into the pipe.

I have the spout in the top portion when I pour out of a 5 until the 5 is half empty. Once half empty the spout can be in the lower pour position.

A couple of holes and some wire, you could "strap" the pipe to the bucket handle bail on the sprayer.

https://www.etundra.com/restaurant-p...hoCnGoQAvD_BwE

Tom
I was replying to your idea and saying IF I worked out of a pickup with a sprayer sitting in the bed, needing to go for a few more days...self sufficient, contained...I could do it and have.

I grow weary reply posting to this thread.

Last edited by Caslon; 11-27-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
I was replying to your idea and saying IF I worked out of a pickup with a sprayer sitting in the bed, needing to go for a few more days...self sufficient, contained...I could do it and have.

I grow weary reply posting to this thread.
Simple solution---stop responding---works ever time for response weariness...

Tom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
tgeb (11-27-2018), Wile E Coyote (11-29-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Home improvement of all types
Rewards Points: 50

I’ve always used mineral spirits for storage of my airless rigs. Never had an issue doing that

Advertisement