Staining Log Home - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Staining Log Home

Old 05-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #1

Trade: Painting Roofing Siding
Rewards Points: 12

Staining Log Home

I am looking into re staining a log home that is 10 years old. The stain they used before is a water base stain and only lasted about 3 years. The home is in direct sunlight with no shade. They want to use an oil base stain that will last at least 5 years. If they have to touch up spots before 5 years there fine with that. The logs are really dried out and look like there 20 years old. What would you recommend for prep without blasting? Pressure wash and spray brightener to clean it. Also what stain would you recommend? There looking it TWP stain. It's located in Central Wisconsin.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: GC, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,652

Re: Staining Log Home

We are going to put stain "there"

"They're" going to buy stain.

That is "their" stain.

Sorry, just bugs me to no end. I would be somewhat concerned if the oil based stain will penetrate the wood, or just sit on top of the old latex based stain.

This company has a nice pros and cons list of all the types of stains, http://www.logcabinrestorationservic...og-Home-Stains. You could probably contact them and ask their advice if you are not in their market place.

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,976

First will the existing surface take a stain or does it still repell? That will determine the prep that is necessary.
I would be concerned about being asked to rule out latex based stains, some are very good.

I like the SW Log Home Stain, it is excellent. Be sure to follow directions before applying as there are some factors to be followed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

Trade: Painting Roofing Siding
Rewards Points: 12

Thanks for your input guys. The only spot that would repel water is underneath the porch, where the sun doesn't hit. I use Sherwin Williams all the time but haven't used the log stain yet. The sun is the biggest factor on this house. It's in a very open area with no shade. The home owners are not interested in latex stain.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
First will the existing surface take a stain or does it still repell? That will determine the prep that is necessary.
I would be concerned about being asked to rule out latex based stains, some are very good.

I like the SW Log Home Stain, it is excellent. Be sure to follow directions before applying as there are some factors to be followed.
I've only done one with it, and it was only a year ago, but it still looks mint. Which is hard to get from wood on the lake after long hard winters around here; house adjacent to it was stained about a month before the one we did was (they were built at roughly the same time, few weeks apart, new construction with a ship lap log facade), and that one looks nowhere near as fresh.

Did have a small problem area where a co-worker failed to keep the stain wet on wet and tried moving a bit too fast, not too bad though. Just don't get too far ahead of yourself and it looks mint.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,366

Is it a solid colored stain or semi-transparent stain? If the new semi is going over the same old semi color, then fine. If the new semi stain is going over a different color, then the old stain color underneath the new may cause color conflicts.

If I take a greenish semi-transparent stain and try to cover over an existing reddish colored semi-transparent, then you can imagine there's going to be a color conflict showing thru.

Advertisement