Sherwin Williams Deckscapes On Vertical Surface - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Sherwin Williams Deckscapes On Vertical Surface

Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #1

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 25

Sherwin Williams Deckscapes On Vertical Surface

I am staining a cedar log home with SW Woodscapes. I needed an additional 2 gallons to complete the job..I can't blame it on my employee, but I can point the finger at the SW manager who sold me Deckscapes instead of Woodscapes, and this after handing him an empty
Woodscapes can for a match...
Bottom line is, this went on a portion of the customers house as a second coat
Now I have to worry about what? Will it hold up? I would like to be u[p front and inform the customer, but I also am aware that it is partially my fault for not noticing this before it got emptied into the sprayer and shot on. I actually noticed when I was trying to do a couple of touch ups and the sheen was wrong....
Any thoughts? I'm mostly concerned with it holding up, or what to do if it doesn't....
Bring it on and don't hold the punches

Thank for your opinions,
Randy Rohe
Brothers' Painting

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #2

Trade: Exterior Cleaning Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Sherwin Williams Deckscapes On Vertical Surface

I think you'll be ok using the deckscapes on the vertical surface. From what I remember, I think the deckscapes actually provides a harder finish because it is designed for horizonals, and made to be walked on. Now if you had used the woodscapes on a deck surface, I think you would run into problems. Check with your local SW rep to be sure.

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: commercial building restoration
Rewards Points: 250

I agree, you should be fine. I used Deckscapes on my fence because I thought it would hold up longer. It's been 4 years and water still beads up on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #4

thanks for the input..that seems logical........
Old 10-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #5

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

No. there is a reason it says Deck, you need woodscapes for vertical surfaces.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #6

Trade: Painting

You will be in better shape coating your vertical surface with Deckscapes especially where the sun hits the most. It will take longer to fade out because of the formula having more UV protection.

"I think the deckscapes actually provides a harder finish because it is designed for horizonals, and made to be walked on."

Yes. The question is; is the Deckscapes you used oil? Does the coating clearly look different from the sides where you used Woodscapes? Guarantee the side you used Deckscapes holds at least two years longer than the others.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #7

that's great news...
It is the water base formula, and actually, it is on the side with the most sun.
WIN-WIN
thanks for everyones input

Advertisement