Semi-Transparent House Stains - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Semi-Transparent House Stains

Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 25

Semi-Transparent House Stains

Who do you guys go to? Sherwin Williams is going to be my guess for most opinions and is what I would use.

Here's the real question though. Prep time goes way down because there is no scraping, right? To prep a house to restain is it as easy as 1-2-3 or should I be aware of other problems that could arise?

Also, the house is not caulked at all on two faces. It's just bare wood, you can see the end of nails and all. Should I use a clear caulking to seal the house where I will be staining? I don't want the caulk to show through at all when im putting the coat on.

Sorry for the random thread with my thoughts spilling out. It's is a beautiful old shaked house. I can post pictures of what im describing if need be. I took them on my phone this morning.

Should I push for a solid stain?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: painting

Re: Semi-Transparent House Stains

I would go with Benjamin Moore or Pittsburgh, mainly because I've been much more satisfied with their ST stains that those of SW. As you pointed out, no scraping, but there may be some other prep involved. Is the wood water-stained, or has it weathered? We typically clean the siding with BioWash WoodWash, then treat it with BioWash Stain Prep. That elimates the grey wood, water/tannins stains, etc. and leaves something close to new wood to stain. I know a lot of painters skip this step, but it makes a huge difference in the final product.

Caulking is problematic. We try not to, since it usually looks awful, but when we do, we generally use a matching color caulk, rather than clear.

Solid color stains are really thiined paints: film-forming products. The are a lot less prone to peeling than regular paints, because of the thin film that they do form and the fact that they tend to weather away, rather than peel.

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #3

Two sides of the house is amazingly only treated wood not even stained. They've held up from the weather but when I come in I want it done differently, hense the caulking. This part of the house is not shakes it horz. 5'' cedar claps and i truly am suprised to no rotted wood.

The wood is only fading where UV hits other sides look alright for being doing 3 years ago. The main issue is I can't let the sides that take SUN fade like this. What is a protection method outside of applying a sheen?

1. Sand
1. Bio wood wash <--takes care of my mildew and cleans wood?
2. Bio wash stain prep <--returns wood to original form
3. Woodscapes Semi <---Clear house
4. Caulk matching to stain
4. clear coat on top to protect from weather and fading?

Thanks for the help Gough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Dribblz View Post
Two sides of the house is amazingly only treated wood not even stained. They've held up from the weather but when I come in I want it done differently, hense the caulking. This part of the house is not shakes it horz. 5'' cedar claps and i truly am suprised to no rotted wood.

The wood is only fading where UV hits other sides look alright for being doing 3 years ago. The main issue is I can't let the sides that take SUN fade like this. What is a protection method outside of applying a sheen?

1. Sand
1. Bio wood wash <--takes care of my mildew and cleans wood?
2. Bio wash stain prep <--returns wood to original form
3. Woodscapes Semi <---Clear house
4. Caulk matching to stain
4. clear coat on top to protect from weather and fading?

Thanks for the help Gough!
Why do you think it's necessary to sand?

@ #3 Clear house?? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

What sort of clear coat are you considering in #4? This isn't a step that we'd normally take, but we're in a totally different climate. Is this a common approach in RI?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #5

I'll clear coat east and west facing sides so they fade with the shady sides. It's all depending though and most guys would never consider it because of the little bit of extra money.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
I'll clear coat east and west facing sides so they fade with the shady sides. It's all depending though and most guys would never consider it because of the little bit of extra money.
If you're talking clear coat as in spar varnish, spar urethane,etc, most guys don't don't avoid it because it's a little extra money; they avoid it because it's a maintenance nightmare. As soon as the clear coat begins to peel, you've got a huge mess.

If you're talking about a $$$ clear coat like Sikkens Maintenance, that's a different story. I've run the numbers for several clients, comparing costs over a 20-25 year period, and regular semi-transparent stains were a clear winner.

If it's the fading problem that you're worried about, I'd suggest a water-borne semi-transparent stain like Benjamin Moore's Arborcoat. These newer products are tinted with water-borne colorants instead of UTCs and are much more colorfast.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:25 AM   #7
Gen Supt.

Trade: Paint / General

I've used SW Woodscapes and I think it's fine, although if others here prefer other products, hey to each their own.

With semitransparent make sure you and your guys watch your overlap marks, they will show up if you make them. Particularly challenging on siding because you have to maintain a wet edge at all times so don't start what you can't finish (each day), move ladders/platforms/scaffolding quickly to keep going and work in tandem with your crew...

And you don't need to sand.

Last edited by SubwayGuy; 09-25-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #8

The house is mostly cedar shakes with 1/4 of it cedar lap siding. I say sand...only because some of the shakes are real rough as if the person who built it or replaced rotted shakes them installed backwards. %95 of the shakes are in great condition - some mold/mildew. Some will have to be replaced from water damage (issue has been corrected).

How do you compare Bio-Wash Wood Wash to SimpleGreen or Eco-Wash? I would like to use the Bio-Wash Stain Prep after cleaning the house to have my surface color symmetrically even, but around RI I haven't found a single distributer.

Do I have to take the wood all the way back to its original form prior to using a semi-transparent stain again (that is what was last used and it's even the same exact colors trim and body) or can I use a wood conditioner at a local paint store to assure myself the new coat or semi-transparent stain will soak in evenly.

Oh..also the horizontal lap cedar boards are not previously stained, they weren't exactly clear coated either. I believe a year ago PT boards were put in place of the shakes but not stained leaving the areas not caulked and nail heads visible. Since this part is the same wood but not stained like the rest of the house will I have issues with maintaining the same consistency though the house?

I guess what I'm getting at is what is a good alternative to the Bio-Wash Stain Prep?

THANK THANK THANK THANK THANK YOUUUU...what can you expect..I'm front RI
Old 09-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
I say sand...only because some of the shakes are real rough as if the person who built it or replaced rotted shakes them installed backwards.

I'm not sure how you install shakes backwards. Are these really shakes (split) or are they "sidewall shakes" (a shingle that has been mechanically grooved on one side)?

How do you compare Bio-Wash Wood Wash to SimpleGreen or Eco-Wash? I would like to use the Bio-Wash Stain Prep after cleaning the house to have my surface color symmetrically even, but around RI I haven't found a single distributer.

Wood Wash is a lot more than those other cleaners. I don't have a jug of it handy, but IIRC, Bio-Wash Wood Wash is a solution of lye (NaOH), while the stain prep was/is (I've had my supply of it for 5+ years and it may have changed) citric acid.

Do I have to take the wood all the way back to its original form prior to using a semi-transparent stain again (that is what was last used and it's even the same exact colors trim and body) or can I use a wood conditioner at a local paint store to assure myself the new coat or semi-transparent stain will soak in evenly.

The issue is not how evenly it soaks it, but how even you want the color. The grays and tans really show tannin bleed and water stains. If you're going with a really dark color like a dark brown, it hardly matters.

Oh..also the horizontal lap cedar boards are not previously stained, they weren't exactly clear coated either. I believe a year ago PT boards were put in place of the shakes but not stained leaving the areas not caulked and nail heads visible. Since this part is the same wood but not stained like the rest of the house will I have issues with maintaining the same consistency though the house?

I guess what I'm getting at is what is a good alternative to the Bio-Wash Stain Prep?

We used to use Flood Co's Dekswood, which is an oxalic acid based cleaner/brightener. It worked reasonably well, but we found that the BioWash system worked better with less scrubbing. Look at you local stores for deck/siding cleaners/brighteners, there are a passel of them around. They are generally either acid- or alakali-based products. Some of them are just rinsed off, but others, especially the alkali-based ones, may require neutralization.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: hack painting

The Following User Says
Thank You to Gough
For This Useful Post:
Steve Richards (today)

(Sorry for the fake THANKS...apparently I'm supposed to conserve my real ones.)
Old 09-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #11

Old 09-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #12

Advertisement