Painting Furniture - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Painting Furniture

Old 10-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Painting Furniture

I have started to get into a new area of painting. Seems that lots of homeowners want their furniture painted instead of stripping and staining. I've had a bunch of these kinds of jobs lately so look into it Painters, i've made quite a bit of money just spraying a few coats of paint on a desk or dresser. Check out my video link to see how easy it was for me. Good luck out there guys, times are tough so start expanding into other areas besides the typical repaint jobs. Good Luck! God Bless!

Last edited by Youcanpaintit; 10-15-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: commercial building restoration
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Painting Furniture

I didn't watch your video and have a couple questions:

1) what materials are you using?
2) are you doing the work on site or taking the furniture back to your shop?
3) are you giving a warranty on the finish?

I'm just curious as to how durable a field applied coating will be on furniture.

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: commercial building restoration

Just watched your video.

where is your respirator? Have you ever heard of cleaning the filters in your pump or straining the material before you spray? How much dust settled in your finish after you finished spraying?

I am very unimpressed with shooting a single component material on a crap dresser. I would be surprised it the paint job looks good for more than 6 months or less time if they use any cleaning products to clean/dust it.
The Following User Says Thank You to NAV For This Useful Post:
A. Spruce (10-15-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcanpaintit View Post

Looks like a cr*p paint job being done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Very unimpressive!

In my experience, when your gun is plugging up like that, it's not spraying worth a darn. I'm betting that dresser is covered in paint spatter and fan lines. I'm also betting there was a healthy layer of paint dust across the top of that dresser when you finally got around to shooting it, let alone the amount of paint dust and overspray in the entire area.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
He who's held accountable

Trade: General Contractor-Renovations
Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
I have started to get into a new area of painting. Seems that lots of homeowners want their furniture painted instead of stripping and staining. I've had a bunch of these kinds of jobs lately so look into it Painters, i've made quite a bit of money just spraying a few coats of paint on a desk or dresser. Check out my video link to see how easy it was for me. Good luck out there guys, times are tough so start expanding into other areas besides the typical repaint jobs. Good Luck! God Bless!

http://www.youtube.com/user/YouCanPaintIt?feature=mhum
^^^^^ LOL...

That is all.

Ron
Old 10-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #6

Wow, love that there are so many positive people in this world. So much criticism it's amazing. Actually guys and gals, they came out really nice. There are no fan marks, no dust, no spatters, very smooth, I allowed them to dry for 3 days before moving them and they are all in my house now. I did this for my own home.

About the sprayer. Yes I am very aware of how to clean out the screens in the gun, at the pump and disassemble everything and clean it out with lacquer thinner. I explained in the video that I haven't cleaned it out (broken it down and cleaned all the components) in awhile. It's not a crap job, my camera just sucks.

It was a 10 dollar dresser that I actually got from someone who was losing his house and was selling everything, I felt bad for the guy so I gave him 20.

I used oil base primer, and latex top coat, came out nice. I was going to use OPEX lacquer from Sherwin Williams it was just way too expensive to blow on a 10 dollar dresser from the 60's.

See this is the problem with painters today, everyone is a critic. There is always something to nit pick about.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #7

Also guys....for real...I was using a 209 tip with latex. Not the right tip I know, but it's what I had for my own furniture. If this was someones dresser that I was doing in my garage and getting paid for it. I'd use.

1) Either Sherwood Lacquer Primer from Sherwin, or Opex.
2) Sherwood or Opex Lacquer top coat
3) And of course then I'd be using my respirator.
4) and on top of that? I'd be using my HVLP not an Airless

My garage door was directly behind me, and it's a 16 foot door, so I didn't need a mask.

The point of this was to show how cheap tools can make a nice quick project go faster than a brush and a roller.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
Professional Tradesman

Trade: Painting-Wallcoverings-Drywall-Carpentry

any perticular reason your tip gaurd is facing horizontal with your tip at the top? A horizontal surface requires a verticle fan...Just wondering...Everything is backwards to me...
Old 10-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #9

I've been spraying for years, and never leave lines or unwanted paint in areas where build up happen. I spray all my surfaces with my guard in the position it is. Going by the book? Yeah right. Who does that. Why do professional critic on the right way to do things when they themselves bend the rules and do what is comfortable for them. I've adapted my technique to spray any surface in any direction. And guess what? I move my wrist! oh no!!!! Never do that! Lock your arm right and move your arm side to side or up and down. Please......you never see that on a job site. I sprayed over 300 homes. I wouldn't have made it past the first few if I was doing it wrong. Sprayer being used in this video is a junker, just a ProX7 from home depot. Nothing special.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
He who's held accountable

Trade: General Contractor-Renovations
Rewards Points: 162

Seriously buddy...What did you expect????

You come to a forum for professionals, post a link to a video that is the rough equivalent of "Laurel and Hardy show you how to paint furniture"

...and you're wondering why people are ripping on you???

The mind boggles...

Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Terrorron For This Useful Post:
A. Spruce (10-15-2010)
Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I've been spraying for years, and never leave lines or unwanted paint in areas where build up happen. I spray all my surfaces with my guard in the position it is. Going by the book? Yeah right. Who does that. Why do professional critic on the right way to do things when they themselves bend the rules and do what is comfortable for them. I've adapted my technique to spray any surface in any direction. And guess what? I move my wrist! oh no!!!! Never do that! Lock your arm right and move your arm side to side or up and down. Please......you never see that on a job site. I sprayed over 300 homes. I wouldn't have made it past the first few if I was doing it wrong. Sprayer being used in this video is a junker, just a ProX7 from home depot. Nothing special.
Slant it any way you like, but you come to a place where professionalism and quality are the topic of the day and you're going to get criticism for less than professional techniques. And to be honest, I don't care how long you've been painting, what was shown in the video had nothing to do with camera quality, it was hack painting at it's finest! While I am no pro painter, I am certain that with the number of times you had to clear that tip that it is impossible to have a glass smooth finish, let alone shadows and other problems. You could have stood in the neighbors driveway with a paint ball gun and gotten a better finish.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Enough.

Advertisement

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook

Tags
black , furniture , painting , refinishing , spraying