Painter's Tool Box, What Do You Use? - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Painter's Tool Box, What Do You Use?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 316

Painter's Tool Box, What Do You Use?

One of my goals for this year was to upgrade my organization and tool storage. So far I have done my drywall tools, plumbing tools, electrical tools, tiling tools and a few others. I use tool boxes for each "trade" of tools I have, drywall goes in one, tile in another, etc. So I can just grab the tool box for whatever I'm working on for that day and go. Larger jobs I load up 2-4 big stanley wheeled totes, they are roughly 2x4x2' and I will put most of my main tools in and use them as job boxes. At the end of the day I will put tools back in them so the job site looks clean. But then I have the specialty trade tools in their own box and bring them in as needed. I recently found the ridgid "systainer" type storage system and really like them. The sizes seem to work out better then the longer skinnier old fashioned plastic tool boxes I have been using.

I'd like to redo my painting box next. Currently my brushes and small rollers and stuff are in one box along with things like spackle and wood putty and stuff like that. Then I have another box that holds my airless sprayer stuff like tips, pump saver, strainers, paint sticks, mask, crescent and channel lock wrenches, screwdriver, etc. Basically I like to keep anything I might need for that trade in each toolbox so it's right there when needed.

I'm trying to decide if I want to combine all my painting stuff into one box or keep the two separate? Then decide which box would be best to hold everything. I'm thinking about getting another ridgid box like this, http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22...2570/205440481 since I have been really happy with the other ones I have bought. It should be a good size to hold most of my painting tools. Except the longer ones like roller and wand gun extension.

Just looking for ideas or suggestions on how you keep your painting tools organized and what tool boxes you are using? Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Re: Painter's Tool Box, What Do You Use?

Clicked on your signature and the link goes to a parked domain...

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Creter For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,062

I have about the same system as you. I just use Rubbermaid tote for my painting tools like rollers, tape, plastic, it all fits in there

Old 05-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Flooring, wall covering, Handy-man
Rewards Points: 368

I have a handyman company and I keep different box's for each of the different trades we do.

We really don't do electrical or plumbing but there are items we do end up using so I have a small parts box for those trades. The other stuff is all organized so I can just grab the box and go.
Tile (large wheeled tote)
Drywall
Painting (small tote for touch up and a large wheeled one for bigger jobs)
Power washing

If we carried everything for everything all of the time I would need a large truck. So I "attempt" to keep it organized but I never assume everything is there.

Having a checklist is handy, especially for tile work. I tend to get complacent when I'm doing the same work all of the time and it'e easy to space out and forget the simple things (like a hammer)
Old 05-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creter View Post
Clicked on your signature and the link goes to a parked domain...
I changed the website a while back but never updated my signature on here. Still need to do that.

Anyone else want to share what they use for organizing their painting stuff?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,252

large rubbermaid. Its really difficult to find anything better. A few 5 gallon buckets are pretty decent too, paint trays just don't fit that easily into anything else other than those two. large drop cloth is really bulky, but light weight.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,356

I do five gallon buckets, one for brushes and one for prep materials like caulk, spackle, wire brush etc. Have an entire husky tote 2 x 3 x4 filled with drop cloths.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,182

I was on the hunt for better painting supply storage a while ago too... but I gave up and went with a rubbermaid rough neck and husky tool caddy (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/20-i...l-caddy/941448 or for the US http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-C...1892/202273241).

With a little dremel work you can get the caddy to fit inside the rubbermaid container. Paint tray can fit in the bottom and it's light. Seems anything that is large enough to fit a paint tray is one of those rolling tool carriers that's too cumbersome to carrying around paint tools. If I get time I might add a shoulder strap to it with chicago bolts or something.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150527_092143.jpg
Views:	3645
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	186377

Name:	IMG_20150527_092156.jpg
Views:	3115
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	186385

The best solution I found that was big enough to fit a paint tray was the one that Robie had in this thread:
http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/dr...1/#post2011928

Unfortunately it seems to be a discontinued Klein product #54701 3-Tier Tool Box.

What did you end up using for your drywall tool storage? I haven't figured any nice way to organize all of the knives and trowels. It's just a big mess in a rubbermaid and annoys me every time I have to rummage around to find anything.

Last edited by Philament; 05-27-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Systainer. Only thing it doesn't have in it is my paint tray.
I always have buckets and caulk and tools in my truck separately, but a sys4 fits 9" roller, small rollers, brushes, plastic, masking tape, painters tool, roller covers, spackle, etc
Old 05-27-2015, 11:37 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,429

Rubbermaid tote for a bunch of stuff. Trays, frames, drop cloths. Brushes are in another flat container that I put in the tote. Other tools and sundries are in a separate , smaller tote.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
Mike Danahy

Trade: Signature Painter
Rewards Points: 522

Name:	ImageUploadedByContractorTalk1432945394.363747.jpg
Views:	4742
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	187666

Caulking, fill, sanding blocks in the top. , scrapers, blades, screw drivers and other hand tools in the two thin drawers. 10-12 neatly stored brushes in the medium sized drawer. Sleeves/cages in the bottom. Holds 6 extension poles in the back.

If I'm doing a touch up or small room I'll usually just detach and bring the top box.
The Following User Says Thank You to Danahy For This Useful Post:
kwunch (05-30-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #12
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

Will that thing hold 18 inch roller gear?

Personally I use an 18 inch rollerpan. Loaded correctly, it will hold everything you ever need for a paintjob and hold it snugly. Obviously the sprayer won't fit, but everything else will. I am extremely anal on how to load the pan so everything fits right, and the employees joke about it. But hey one trip and I can get it all in house.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:06 AM   #13
Mike Danahy

Trade: Signature Painter
Rewards Points: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftweed View Post
Will that thing hold 18 inch roller gear?

Personally I use an 18 inch rollerpan. Loaded correctly, it will hold everything you ever need for a paintjob and hold it snugly. Obviously the sprayer won't fit, but everything else will. I am extremely anal on how to load the pan so everything fits right, and the employees joke about it. But hey one trip and I can get it all in house.

I've never tried it, but the boxes are 19" wide so it just might. The cages will slide into the back pole compartments, a two step ladder will also wedge snug between the poles that are stored and the handle. I use another rolling box for tarps / trays.

Pulling a chest in each hand it could be easily a one trip operation
Old 05-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danahy View Post

Caulking, fill, sanding blocks in the top. , scrapers, blades, screw drivers and other hand tools in the two thin drawers. 10-12 neatly stored brushes in the medium sized drawer. Sleeves/cages in the bottom. Holds 6 extension poles in the back.

If I'm doing a touch up or small room I'll usually just detach and bring the top box.
That looks like it would remove a lot of headaches. We had a few big totes filled with a lot of different stuff.

Big tote, probably 3.5'x2.5'x2.5' filled with drops, and a few different 3'x1.5'x1.5 bins filled with other stuff.

First one was masking materials; plastic sheets, those neat little 3m tape/plastic dispensers, tape, paper rolls, etc.

Another one with prep gear; few random colored caulk tubes (we'd usually just bring in a case of white for new work, but it is handy having a few different tubes for "surprises" people throw at you), hammers and nail sets, putty knives and putty, sanding sponges, orbital sander, screen sander, knives and blades, window scrapers, etc.

Another was for drywall tools with smaller bags of 5, 20, 45, 360 sander etc. A 5 gallon bucket of 90 in the van at all times. If we knew there'd be a lot of extensive prep work that'd usually be the second one in the door.

And of course another with brushes, naps, and cages. Quite a few jobs ended up having upwards of 6 colors out at once, so a big supply of brushes and naps went a long way.

We never really found an "optimal" way to organize our things, it looked like a chit show to anyone else, but at the beginning of the day you knew where everything came from or goes to and it probably bought us 1/2hr-45 minutes of set up/break down time and trips to and from the van. I probably don't have to explain how much of a difference 45 minutes of productivity can make when it comes to having everything ready to rock and roll the next morning. It also kept everything we had centrally located, when you're done with it you put it in the bin and grab the next couple of things you'll need, if you need it later you know where it is and you're probably headed to the bins anyways.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:10 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,494

Rollers, grids, naps, and brushes can be carried to the job in a 5 gallon bucket. Otherwise, a standard sized plastic tool box can carry everything from putty knives to a nap spinner, to mini vice grips to pliers, to box knives, razor scraper, nail punches, hammer, mini saw, hand tube of caulking, small 1" touch up brush, a cheap disposable brush and about 30 other items (screw extractor kit, drill bits, magnetic hex bits, small artist brushes for touch up, etc). The smaller stuff goes in my top take out tray, a hammer and the larger tools go in the bottom.

I can't see me having a huge toolbox that includes things like rollers and naps and 4 brushes, quart of thinner, rags, plastic gloves etc. in it (always have brushes in their cardboard holder). These items are easily and efficiently carried to the job in a 5 gal. bucket.

My standard Home Depot mid-sized plastic toolbox carries almost every conceivable tool related to painting I will use, excluding construction work and the like. It should carry all the things you don't want to have to drive back to your garage for (if you don't own a van). After awhile, you'll learn what to include, after having to drive all the way back home to get a small tool or something relating to the paint job.

I find something like this works fine for other than naps and rollers, etc. Forget the circular saw and cordless drill, maybe a drill driver tho.

Last edited by Caslon; 05-31-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:57 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philament View Post

Unfortunately it seems to be a discontinued Klein product #54701 3-Tier Tool Box.

Sears has 3-tiered boxes similar to that.

I keep meaning to make a tall caddy for paint prep stuff. The bottom would hold open bags of 5, 20, etc. Second layer (one side) for knives, etc. Other side for caulk and guns, etc. Open tray top for assortment of small tools, openers, tape, and whatever else finds it's way there. (I'll never actually make this thing, mind you, but I keep thinking about it.)

Right now I use the larger stackable caddies (HD) and buckets. The caddies are helpful.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:15 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 525

I try to organize things by trade, but I found there are too many crossover tools. Where do you put your caulk gun? If I keep it with the painting stuff, I won't have it when I need to squeeze out some construction adhesive. Also, small tools get lost among larger tools.

I have a small toolbox for "small common hand tools". It has my screwdriver, locking pliers, utility knife, flashlight, torpedo level, measuring tape, etc.

I have a bigger toolbox for "large common hand tools". It has my caulk gun, rubber mallet, pry bar, snips, etc.

I have a box for tape. It has my duct tape, drywall tape, masking tape, painter's tape, double sided tape, etc. I don't want that stuff tumbling around with a bunch of other tools. I want to keep it nice and clean. If I have to tape a template to the wall, I want to use painter's tape that will release cleanly. It's not just a paint tool.

I have a box for caulk tubes. This is where I keep my paintable caulk, silicone, construction adhesive, epoxy, etc. This one is really handy. I don't have to flail around, trying to remember if I still have a half a tube of silicone in with my masonry tools. A couple tubes of caulk take up a lot of room in a toolbox full of tools, but if you have nothing but caulk tubes, you can put quite a few of them in there. They pack pretty tight. I keep everything neatly capped so I can use it again and again.

I have a box for "bits and blades". This is were I keep the bits and blades for my reciprocating saw, jig saw, trim router, drill/driver, etc. I cheat with the drill/driver and keep some bits in the case, but for tools that didn't come with satisfactory boxes, this is a must. I haven't quite figured out what to do with circular saw blades yet. They don't fit in my box.

I have a layout box with my chalk line, combination square, laser level, etc.

And so on.

I still have trade boxes, but they mainly have highly specialized tools like rubber floats and toilet augers.
The Following User Says Thank You to instock For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (06-02-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #18
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by instock View Post
I try to organize things by trade, but I found there are too many crossover tools. Where do you put your caulk gun? If I keep it with the painting stuff, I won't have it when I need to squeeze out some construction adhesive. Also, small tools get lost among larger tools.
I decided to go the other way and have doubles and triples of the crossover tools. I have a hammer, screwdriver, channel locks, vice grips, crescent, tin snips, etc. in every tool box. So if I go to a big job that I will be doing framing, drywall, finishing, painting, tile and whatever I might have 10 hammers on the site, one in each trade tool box. On a big job it makes sense to do like you do and have one tool box with all the common tools. But there are so many times that I am only doing one task on a job and don't bring all my tool boxes. There have been way to many times where I go to a job and end up not having one particular tool because I didn't think I would need that toolbox. So each time that happened I went and bought that tool and kept it in that particular job box. This way when I grab my paint box I have everything I could need for most jobs. Only have to carry one box into the job.

I've been buying these, http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22...2570/205440481 and really like them. I buy another one whenever I get to homedepot and have been switching all my boxes to these. So far they have been working out really good. I picked up another one today and will put all my painting stuff in it so will see how it all fits. Obviously things like tarps, caulk, etc won't fit. But I carry tarps in a roughneck bin and since I'm not a full time painter I usually don't keep caulk around. I buy it for each job as needed and if I don't use the whole tube I will keep it around for a while but then just throw it away if not used in short period. It won't hold an 18" pan but should hold a normal pan and roller frame and covers.
The Following User Says Thank You to platinumLLC For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 02:17 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by instock View Post
I try to organize things by trade, but I found there are too many crossover tools. Where do you put your caulk gun?
You realize this is a painting trade forum...

5 gallon buckets are indispensable to me. One fiver will hold most things needed to tape off a job. A 3M Handmasker, rolls of paper, tape, plastic masking rolls, more tape.

Another fiver gets loaded up with a roller tray, rollers, disposable plastic roller trays, naps, brushes, caulking gun and caulk tubes, maybe even a pint of lacquer thinner and paint thinner.

My painting tool box carries most everything else. Enough to do light carpentry type work related to the painting job, nothing heavy. A hammer is probably the biggest tool in my box.

If I need bigger tools for the paint job, like a Makita disc sander and a drill and circular saw, extension cords and the like.. they can get carried together to the job site in another plastic 5 gallon bucket. Those inexpensive plastic grey Homer storage tubs with snap on lids are kinda handy too, if bringing many power tools to the site, related to the paint job. I make sure to tape down the lids if traveling on the freeway.

Last edited by Caslon; 06-02-2015 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
You realize this is a painting trade forum...
Hey now! How to keep your tape rolls clean and organized? How to store caulk? Where to put a toilet auger? I thought they were all very relevant points.

Advertisement