Paint For Skate Board Surace - Wood - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Paint For Skate Board Surace - Wood

Old 03-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

Trade: Woodworker
Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Paint For Skate Board Surace - Wood

Hello,

I have a customer who has asked me to build some custom skateboard ramps for their children. I'm pretty handy with woodworking on the side so I decided to take on the job.

My biggest problem though is what to finish the ramps with. I have seen companies selling really expensive paint for ramps, but I'm looking for a generic version that will grip the wheels of the board and not create a slippery surface like a typical wood sealer like Thompson's would do. Preferably I'm looking for a one part polyurethane epoxy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I'm tight on my budget and I'm looking to finish it ASAP.

Thanks Sam.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Re: Paint For Skate Board Surace - Wood

Cover it with masonite board.

Advertisement

Last edited by JumboJack; 03-19-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
The Brains

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

i didn't want to say anything but it would suck to get a ramp built and have it suck. The people ur building it for should be building it themselves.

in case you have no idea what your doing ur gonna want two layers of ply. the grain of the base layer running perpendicular to the direction of the rider and the grain of the top layer running parallel to the rider and perpendicular to the base layer. Masonite board is good if its an indoor ramp. spar urethane works well for paint an acrylic enamel. if using Masonite seal all sides and edges.
this is something that would be better built by a rider or skater as they know the function and not just the idea. There are prints available. For more help im sure you would be better of on a skate site or ramp builders forum. there are plenty out there.

just wondering if you have taken measures to ensure the customers dont come after you when someone breaks an arm or neck.
good luck
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Motorboatin' son of a ...

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

You should be using a product like Ramp Armour or Skatelite Pro for that. These products are specifically manufactured for the outdoors and harshness of skating in which any type of paint would not hold up.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,278

Doubt the homeowner would want to pay the money for those manufactured ramp materials. If it was for a professional skateboard ramp, then yeah. But if it's for someones kid in their back yard, probably not.

I helped my cousin build a skateboard ramp for himself once. We didn't paint it or anything, and used one layer of quarter inch plywood for the ramp. I thought it would need two layers, but he looked at other skateboard ramps and swears that's how they're all done, one layer of quarter inch. It worked pretty cool until his mom made him tear it apart, took up too much room in the garage.

I don't see how the paint or stain being slippery would cause a problem skate boarding on it. I would think you'd want it slippery so if you fall you'd slide down the ramp and not hurt yourself so much.

Tags
non-slip , paint , ramps , skateboard , wood