Paint & Drywall Paper Peeling From Walls - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Paint & Drywall Paper Peeling From Walls

Old 06-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 424

Paint & Drywall Paper Peeling From Walls

I'm in the process of a kitchen remodel and finding that the paint and top layer of drywall is peeling off in sheets in several areas. It is mostly occurring where I have removed the old trim and cabinets as I was scraping off the old caulk. One area was a corner bead/joint compount that clearly hadn't been primed. The other areas, the top layer of the drywall paper has separated down to the brown paper.

The house is newer and built in the boom of the early 2000's. It is definitely a lower end production build from what I can tell. Possible causes could be poor drywall prep, inferior drywall, and/or moisture. Most likely a combination of all three. I believe the house has (or has had) moisture issues. For some reason, they were still using poly in the walls under the drywall. Additionally, when the flooring guy tore out the ceramic tile, the OSB subfloor (it's above the basement) was soft in several areas.

I can prime/patch the damaged areas. However, I'm concerned about future paint failure. Short of tearing out the drywall and starting over (not a realistic option), is there a way to address to prevent/mitigate the chance of future peeling? How would you approach this with the H/O?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #2

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 128

Re: Paint & Drywall Paper Peeling From Walls

I would really vote to replace, but, since you can't (everyone has a budget) get as much of the loose stuff off, prime with Gardz, and skim coat. That's about all you can do short of replacement. To me, it is a lot of work, almost as much as doing the replacement.

PS The chance of peeling is very limited. The Gardz will seal up all that messed up drywall and give you a sound surface to start over. I mean, I've been doing this for 40 years and have yet to see a failure doing repairs like this as long as the brown and damaged paper is sealed properly.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gumshoe For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (06-16-2019), EricBrancard (06-17-2019), Mr_Stop (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 10,102

GumShoe is right on,, The Gaurds is the only way to go. Here's CT member SirMix-a-Lot showing us how it's done.
EricBrancard (06-17-2019), Sleepinggiant (06-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe View Post
I would really vote to replace, but, since you can't (everyone has a budget) get as much of the loose stuff off, prime with Gardz, and skim coat. That's about all you can do short of replacement. To me, it is a lot of work, almost as much as doing the replacement.

PS The chance of peeling is very limited. The Gardz will seal up all that messed up drywall and give you a sound surface to start over. I mean, I've been doing this for 40 years and have yet to see a failure doing repairs like this as long as the brown and damaged paper is sealed properly.
Yeah, I don't think they will go for drywall replacement in about 3/4 of their downstairs. Fortunately the damage is mostly around where I removed baseboard and cabinets. While I could probably peel more paint back, I don't want to open a can of worms so I just peeled the old paint back to where there was a decent degree of adhesion.

I have a can of Gardz at the ready to prime the brown paper. I might then hit the adjoining painted edges with BIN before skim coating with general purpose compound.

I'll just have to gently break it to them that the upstairs paint will be "one more thing" that wasn't done right. So far I have encountered:
- Failed subfloor (original builder)
- Failed ceiling drywall joint repair (handyman?)
- Drywall screw fills falling out and joint tape that separated during tile demo in the recently finished basement below (remodeler set screws too deep and looked like he used a light coat of Easy Sand to patch screw holes and set tape)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
GumShoe is right on,, The Gaurds is the only way to go. Here's CT member SirMix-a-Lot showing us how it's done.
https://youtu.be/eHqf40yFSBc
Thanks for sharing the video, that's pretty much my issue. I had a new kid remove the base. He was supposed to score it with a knife, but who knows? Guess I shouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,786

Another option is to put on a coat of sw drywall conditioner over all the damaged drywall. You will then have a solid / sound surface to start over from. It's a great product.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 530

Gardz all the way. My number one go to for problem wall/ceiling prep as well as sealing skim coats, patches, etc.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 600

i`d remove the bad drywall , and then put a dehumidifier on that room.
dry it out internally.

Advertisement