Paint Bubbling Up - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Paint Bubbling Up

Old 04-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 12

Paint Bubbling Up

I had this happen on a small scale once. I painted over an already painted wall. A small area about 3x4” bubbled up, the old paint that was on the wall separated from the drywall and made a bubble. I scraped it off let it dry out spackled the area primed it and re painted it. Today a customer wanted a few visible drywall seems feathered out before painting. I skim coated the seems with spackle to repair the area. I looked at it a few hours later and the wall was all bubbled up under the spackle. Some areas like 12x12” and others anywhere from 3” to 6” circles. The spackle was starting to dry and I could push on the bubbles. I’m assuming the paint that was under the spackle got moist and separated from the wall. I bought it to the homeowners attention and he said the same thing happened when another room in the house was painted and he showed me some other spots that still had bubbles in it from previous painting. Does anyone know what causes this, was primer not used when the house was built? I’m not looking coward to going back tomorrow and painting the room.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,550

Re: Paint Bubbling Up

Contamination or incompatibility of some sort.

Gonna have to prime the whole job with 1-2 coats of BIN Shellac based primer or Cover Stain oil based primer.

Only way to get out of there.

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #3

I guess I’ll try painting one wall and see what happens first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 14,963

Just had this issue with a water damaged wall. The paper of the drywall separated from the gypsum when it got wet from the new mud being applied over it to skim it. I ended up ripping the paper off where it bubbled and then using hot mud to repair the bubble.

Sno says he cuts the bubble down the center and pushes mud under the bubble and then knifes it flat and skims over it. I tried that with one of the bubbles I had and it worked. It was more of a pain to do than just rip off the paper.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #5

It could also be the drywall paper separating and bubbling, I didn’t mess with it today figured I’d let it all dry out.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #6

If it is the paper I’ll try that thanks
Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 3,020

Bubbling under the sparkle is a [email protected] situation.
If I thought it was going to be an extensive issue and did not want to fix each bubble that might occur then I would prime the whole wall / walls with SW shellac primer. Nasty stuff. I think someone else here has said BIN which I don't use.
These primers will create a barrier that you can then paint over without the paint penetrating into the layers underneath creating the bubbles. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
hdavis (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Handyman/ Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 28

It could be wall paper paste residue...any good oil primer will fix that if that's what it is.
I always prime before paint when removing paper. And I always talk to the paint store personal. So I just had this conversation last week, because I have a few rooms that had paper removed by others. The occupant has breathing issues. I was assured that latex will not work. The moisture re-activates the glue making bubbles. And it may not occur right away. They say it can happen months later.....They did recommend this water based product that goes on clear, it's a wall paper product that I could use...( Sorry I forget the name, but will look into it more next week when I'm ready to start painting.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,086

The clear product is Gardz.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
Pro

You can also have bubbling due to a poor PVA primer on new drywall. You can peel the paint off pretty easily.

The first thing to do here is figure out what is separating from what and why. Peel a bubble off and see what you have.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Just had this issue with a water damaged wall. The paper of the drywall separated from the gypsum when it got wet from the new mud being applied over it to skim it. I ended up ripping the paper off where it bubbled and then using hot mud to repair the bubble.

Sno says he cuts the bubble down the center and pushes mud under the bubble and then knifes it flat and skims over it. I tried that with one of the bubbles I had and it worked. It was more of a pain to do than just rip off the paper.

A lot of times you can glue bubbles down using a wall paper paste syringe. Just inject into the bubble.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #12

Checked it today it’s the paint coming off the drywall. The paper is fine. I removed the bubbles and re spackled the areas. So far when painting the walls I’m not having an issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to BLI For This Useful Post:
hdavis (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #13
Pro

Poor primer, or the drywall didn't get cleaned well enough before painting, or both.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #14

That’s what I’m thinking, hopefully some isolated spots that were dusty when originally primed/painted

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to BLI For This Useful Post:
hdavis (04-16-2019)