Oh No, He's Baaaaack. - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Oh No, He's Baaaaack.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
A bit abrasive.

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Oh No, He's Baaaaack.

whuddup painters and lurking DIY folk, checking in, not enjoying the new layout, and will field any and all reasonable questions...starting, NOW!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #2

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Oh No, He's Baaaaack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter View Post
whuddup painters and lurking DIY folk, checking in, not enjoying the new layout, and will field any and all reasonable questions...starting, NOW!
Any advice to a new painting company (general partnership) with 25 plus years of experience when it comes to landing, or at least getting on the radar, for commercial accounts, new builds, etc? Our comp and liability insurances are in order and being that the winter season is amongst us, my partner and I are getting a gameplan together for getting our information out there to GCs, property managers, builders, etc. Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,431

Quote:
Where ya been hiding WP? Nice to see you back.

-Paul

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
WisePainter (11-29-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
A bit abrasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Painting View Post
Any advice to a new painting company (general partnership) with 25 plus years of experience when it comes to landing, or at least getting on the radar, for commercial accounts, new builds, etc? Our comp and liability insurances are in order and being that the winter season is amongst us, my partner and I are getting a gameplan together for getting our information out there to GCs, property managers, builders, etc. Thanks in advance
I'm assuming you are combined 25 years, with mostly residential repaint experience?
You'll need to start small, adapt to the vastly different world of production vs. residential repaints.
They are not the same beast.

Advertising, paint stores, the usual target marketing is all I can recommend if you don't yet have local connections.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
A bit abrasive.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mixalot View Post
Where ya been hiding WP? Nice to see you back.

-Paul
heck, went in the back wherehouse of a Sherwin Williams to use the head, and got lost...

like a friggin' maze with no exit!!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm assuming you are combined 25 years, with mostly residential repaint experience?
You'll need to start small, adapt to the vastly different world of production vs. residential repaints.
They are not the same beast.

Advertising, paint stores, the usual target marketing is all I can recommend if you don't yet have local connections.
25 years combined yes. Where you are mistaken is the repaint experiences residential, etc.. we are both proven in residential and commercial work. I worked for my father for 15 years plus and he had several commercial accounts. My partner had his own company previously and had a major commercial account. My question is more towards key points to adress during our stop bys with these different professionals who make the calls on bids, hiring, etc.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
A bit abrasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Painting View Post
25 years combined yes. Where you are mistaken is the repaint experiences residential, etc.. we are both proven in residential and commercial work. I worked for my father for 15 years plus and he had several commercial accounts. My partner had his own company previously and had a major commercial account. My question is more towards key points to adress during our stop bys with these different professionals who make the calls on bids, hiring, etc.
with your skillsets revealed, not "new" in the sense of just entering the painting field, my advice is continue status quo as you've been taught.

Sales techniques for your desired market requires extremely tight pricing, and an almost inhumane ability to be flexible to demanding schedules.
Not including our current economic conditions, it's not a desireable market for most.
You are running in while others are running away.

If none of the above is suitable as an answer, I'll read between the lines and answer accordingly...no, I have no magic bullet or unique sales methods to make it rain, the lowest bidder always wins with production painting.
When I win production contracts, that thought haunts me...
Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
with your skillsets revealed, not "new" in the sense of just entering the painting field, my advice is continue status quo as you've been taught.

Sales techniques for your desired market requires extremely tight pricing, and an almost inhumane ability to be flexible to demanding schedules.
Not including our current economic conditions, it's not a desireable market for most.
You are running in while others are running away.

If none of the above is suitable as an answer, I'll read between the lines and answer accordingly...no, I have no magic bullet or unique sales methods to make it rain, the lowest bidder always wins with production painting.
When I win production contracts, that thought haunts me...
Thanks for the imput
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,436

I thought Wise quit painting...

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,186

he didnt quit, he just ran out of those "Try AOL Free For 30 Days" disks and didnt have internet for a minute
Old 12-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,186

Although there were rumors that Wise and Mike Finley had run off to start a goat farm and lead an alternative lifestyle together somewhere in Wyoming

Advertisement