New Ratings On Paint Brands - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

New Ratings On Paint Brands

Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC - Home repair
Rewards Points: 280

New Ratings On Paint Brands

Here we go again. This was for satin or eggshell
New consumers report is listing Beher premium plus enamel as the best paint.
Even the $52.00 Ben Moore Aura only came in as #4.

I have yet to hear of a painter that had anything good to say about Beher. But they always seem to get high ratings.
I used it once 5 years ago and did not think it covered good. But its Hiding is listed as better than Aura.

Sherwin Williams Harmony came in last at #17

Anybody like Beher and compared it side by side on same job.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Sharp Improvements

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

Re: New Ratings On Paint Brands

I have not seen it side by side. I have used it when stubborn customers insist. I do like like bererf. I prefer BM. I am going to paint a kitchen and have not yet used aura. I heard it is good for kitchens and baths. Any comments on the Aura?

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,062

How do they conduct the survey?

Does each reporting consumer get a pail of each brand to see the difference for themselves?

Or...

Do they only judge by what they are familiar with from past usage?

Would a home owner typically go and spend $ 52.00 per gallon versus $ 18.00 per gallon on their own?

If they do not compare every brand, then the results are skewed to the cheapest product that does an average to good job.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 83

Ray, can you post the top 10?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 83

Or 20?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC - Home repair
Rewards Points: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
How do they conduct the survey?

Does each reporting consumer get a pail of each brand to see the difference for themselves?

Or...

Do they only judge by what they are familiar with from past usage?

Would a home owner typically go and spend $ 52.00 per gallon versus $ 18.00 per gallon on their own?

If they do not compare every brand, then the results are skewed to the cheapest product that does an average to good job.

Ed
Not a survey.
They say actually test.
On one test have a machine that scrubs a spot 20 times with a household cleaner to test scrubbibility.
I forget how they did it for Hiding and smoothness.

1. Beher
2. BM Regal
3. Kiltz (walmart)
4. BM Aura
5. Valspar signature
6. True Value easy care
7. Dutch Boy
8. Valspar ultra prem
9. California
10. Sears easy living
11.Mythic
12. BM Waterbourne impervo
13. Olympic
14. Pratt Lambert
15. Color Place
16. Freshaire Choice
17. Sher Williams Harmony
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
A bit abrasive.

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Biggest load of [email protected] ever.

looks like Home Depot and the WalMarts are spending some money at the Consumer Reports store.

Color Place (WalMart paint you dult) beats anything SW?
Not hardly.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Nepster

Trade: general contracting
Rewards Points: 150

I always have problems with Behr paint. You either have to roll right after you cut or wait until it is completely dry, otherwise it gums up when you roll over the wet cut. I only use it if the homeowner bought it or if they insist on me using it. BM is rediculously expensive and not worth it in my opinion. Is it better, yes...is it double the price better, NO.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

i painted my high school teachers bedroom with behr that she insisted on and did not cover well at all. the guest room i painted with sw and covered completely. there is no comparison!!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 250

All of the consumer reports rags are a scam. A few years back Cuprenol was rated the number one deck stain in consumer reports. The next year it was owned by SW. Nothing changed but the name (deckscapes) yet it was now ranked as the worst deck stain. Come on.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 500

It seems like a pretty biased study. Behr and wally world must of dumped some money into the findings.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
President of the world

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 2,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayh78 View Post
Not a survey.
They say actually test.
On one test have a machine that scrubs a spot 20 times with a household cleaner to test scrubbibility.

1. Beher
2. BM Regal
3. Kiltz (walmart)
4. BM Aura
5. Valspar signature
6. True Value easy care
7. Dutch Boy
8. Valspar ultra prem
9. California
10. Sears easy living
11.Mythic
13. Olympic
14. Pratt Lambert
15. Color Place
16. Freshaire Choice
can't wait to get a client that "doesn't want that sherwin williams CRAP" in their house
Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
New Guy

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Here we go again. This was for satin or eggshell
New consumers report is listing Beher premium plus enamel as the best paint.
Even the $52.00 Ben Moore Aura only came in as #4.

I have yet to hear of a painter that had anything good to say about Beher. But they always seem to get high ratings.
I used it once 5 years ago and did not think it covered good. But its Hiding is listed as better than Aura.

Sherwin Williams Harmony came in last at #17

Anybody like Beher and compared it side by side on same job.
My take after 30 years in the construction businessis this. Behr premium plus is as good a paint as it gets. Its so thick I don't think its sprayable without considerable thinning. But for rolling or brushing its great. It covers better than Benjamin Moores Aura.All Behr paints are quality and I'll tell you why. Home Depot has deep pockets and demand the best products in all departments. When you go to Benjamin Moore or Sherwin williams, Yes you get knowlegable people to help you and there are more of them for sure. But you have stand alone buildings and a lot more over head than Home Depot, so guess what, You seem more satisfied and consider the paint better because you had better people serving and if it cost more it must be better. WRONG. Contractors and professionals hate going into Loews and Home Depot because you wait in line like everyone else and the people running the department are not educated. This has nothing to do with the quality of the paint. I hate going there just like everyone else for these same reasons, but I get a good paint for a good price. Trust me when your buying that Benjamin Moore paint at $50.00 or more a gallon its a rip. Just go at good hours when its less crowded and get the Behr or Valspar. Consumer reports does an independent testing for these paints so trust their results rather than your gut feeling.

Last edited by Jeffrey Watson; 10-11-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Watson View Post
My take after 30 years in the construction businessis this. Behr premium plus is as good a paint as it gets. Its so thick I don't think its sprayable without considerable thinning. But for rolling or brushing its great. It covers better than Benjamin Moores Aura.All Behr paints are quality and I'll tell you why. Home Depot has deep pockets and demand the best products in all departments. When you go to Benjamin Moore or Sherwin williams, Yes you get knowlegable people to help you and there are more of them for sure. But you have stand alone buildings and a lot more over head than Home Depot, so guess what, You seem more satisfied and consider the paint better because you had better people serving and if it cost more it must be better. WRONG. Contractors and professionals hate going into Loews and Home Depot because you wait in line like everyone else and the people running the department are not educated. This has nothing to do with the quality of the paint. I hate going there just like everyone else for these same reasons, but I get a good paint for a good price. Trust me when your buying that Benjamin Moore paint at $50.00 or more a gallon its a rip. Just go at good hours when its less crowded and get the Behr or Valspar. Consumer reports does an independent testing for these paints so trust their results rather than your gut feeling.
*spews diet coke everywhere*

What like the 30.00 valspar premium oil primer that is identical to kilz?

Or the Valspar latex enamel that adheres to itself more strongly than any surface it is applied to? (Not so great for cabinets)

Or the behr that's unfing cuttable when semidry. I guess if it takes you more than four hours to roll out a ten x ten room it would be ok.

Or the home depot contractor discount of 10% off of any purchase bigger than $2500.00?

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #15
paper hanger,painter

Trade: wallpaper hanger,painter
Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
My take after 30 years in the construction businessis this. Behr premium plus is as good a paint as it gets Its so thick I don't think its sprayable without considerable thinning. But for rolling or brushing its great. It covers better than Benjamin Moores Aura.All Behr paints are quality and I'll tell you why. Home Depot has deep pockets and demand the best products in all departments. When you go to Benjamin Moore or Sherwin williams, Yes you get knowlegable people to help you and there are more of them for sure. But you have stand alone buildings and a lot more over head than Home Depot, so guess what, You seem more satisfied and consider the paint better because you had better people serving and if it cost more it must be better. WRONG. Contractors and professionals hate going into Loews and Home Depot because you wait in line like everyone else and the people running the department are not educated. This has nothing to do with the quality of the paint. I hate going there just like everyone else for these same reasons, but I get a good paint for a good price. Trust me when your buying that Benjamin Moore paint at $50.00 or more a gallon its a rip. Just go at good hours when its less crowded and get the Behr or Valspar. Consumer reports does an independent testing for these paints so trust their results rather than your gut feeling.
All of this great knowledge from a carpenter
Especially this great line
"Behr premium plus is as good a paint as it gets " and
"It covers better than Benjamin Moores Aura"and
".All Behr paints are quality "and especially
"Consumer reports does an independent testing for these paints so trust their results rather than your gut feeling"

My question would be have you EVER actually painted anything before? You certainly have never applied Behr premium white against ANY other paint and could say it covers better, it just is not possible to say that with a straight face.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:33 AM   #16
paper hanger,painter

Trade: wallpaper hanger,painter
Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Not a survey.
They say actually test.

1. Beher
2. BM Regal
3. Kiltz (walmart)
4. BM Aura
5. Valspar signature
6. True Value easy care
7. Dutch Boy
8. Valspar ultra prem
9. California
10. Sears easy living
11.Mythic
13. Olympic
14. Pratt Lambert
15. Color Place
16. Freshaire Choice
Cant wait to try #3 KILTZ
Old 10-14-2009, 02:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Behr premium plus is as good a paint as it gets. Its so thick I don't think its sprayable without considerable thinning. But for rolling or brushing its great. It covers better than Benjamin Moores Aura.All Behr paints are quality and I'll tell you why. Home Depot has deep pockets and demand the best products in all departments Blah Blah Blah Blah....

Thanks I needed a laugh.

I almost broke up with my gf a few years ago because she bought Behr to paint her house with, lol. She knows better now
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash808 For This Useful Post:
ProWallGuy (11-05-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 04:20 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 250

This amazes me. I'm a carpenter, but do a lot of my own painting on smaller jobs. I can only figure they tested certain aspects, and gave each aspect equal value.

Far as I'm concerned, the biggest things I look for in paint is:
1) coverage
2) Drip, splatter, etc. (Basically if the paint goes where I want it, not on the floor)

In my limited experience, I would put Behr in the middle of the group and Sears at the bottom. I use the Behr, it's ok I guess. We have a distributor for Passano Paints here, and for interior painting, I think its the best paint for the money. For exterior I use Ben Moore.

I truly am suprised that Behr would be put at the top of the list. Maybe if you factor in cost, and that its HO friendly (color in the can, is same as when its dry) it has advantages. But it's by far not the best.... nor is it the worst.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #19
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,186

If a HO wants me to spread sh!t on their walls then I will do it ....... but I aint gonna sand the corn out.
I will paint anything on anything that someone wants to pay for, but I dont offer warranty's if the work is not performed to my specs using the products of my choice.
So if a HO says I wanna use Behr, thats fine, the price of labor just went up and the contract is wrote out saying how many coats will be applied with no guarantee of the quality of the finished product.
You can find plenty of bad stuff on Behr if you search the web, print some of it out and give it to the HO's who think it is the best, some of them might change their mind and go with what you recomend. others might still want the Behr, but atleast you will kow you did your best to educate the public.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #20

Used Behr....it sucked....won't use it again....unless customer wants sags, runs and a really crap job.

Advertisement

Tags
interior painting company , paint contractor